How do I find and secure a rental home?

I have been searching for a rental home for about 4 months non stop. Unfortunately, my boyfriend and I cannot afford a home or apartment on our own, whether it be a rental or purchase. We determined it's best financially to rent a home and have friends join us to split the cost. We are all extremely vigilant finding homes. But by the time we get in touch with anyone, they already have over 15 applicants in the FIRST DAY the home is on the market. We're starting to get discouraged. We don't have the funds to blindly apply to a home. But is that what we need to do to secure a home? Do we need to fork over hundreds of dollars before we even view a property? Please help! I feel like we're doing something wrong here.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You will need to have enough money available to you to first afford the rent, so x3 earnings than the rent is and have at least first months rent and security deposit to pay ( and you will need to pay that before you get the keys) if you can't afford to rent and you are planning on subletting you need to find out if the landlord allows that ( depends on where in the world you are if subletting is allowed or not without eritten permission from the landlord)

You register with all and any letting agents with what type of property you are looking for so they know when a property comes on the market they already have potential tenants so it saves them advertising ( so costs them less) and you get told before it goes on the open market....as once advertised lots of people see it...........

I use a managing agent to look after my properties and tenants and in the last 17 yrs my properties have never been empty for more than 24hours as they have potential tenants on their books, so once a tenant gives notice, they tell potential tenants a property will be available from X date, they get to view it while the old tenants are still there and if they like it can apply and can be credit/background checked while waiting for move in date

• 1 month ago

www.realtor.com/rentals

• 1 month ago

Speak to a couple of lettings agencies, let them know your budget / requirements, and ask them to let you know if anything comes available

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Lauren, if demand for rentals is high, then you just have to keep looking.

The issue you will have is with you saying you want to live with friends. Ok, nothing wrong with that, but depending on where you are, you probably can't have more than three unrelated people living there, so  yourselves, as a couple, and one other, before the house is classed as an HMO, and all that that means.  But check for local regulations. If you need an HMO that will limit your choice.

Alternatively, if you two just intend to move in and subsequently move a couple of friends in and charge them rent, that is called subletting and will be against the terms of the lease. You will all be up for eviction!

To answer your question, you do not pay to view a property, but you do pay to be background checked, even if you fail it.

At the end of the day, the landlord ultimately decides who gets to move in, and if there is a lot of competition, those who are financially strong stand a better chance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you can't afford a low end apartment what makes you think you can afford a house?

You pay zero to view. There is usually an application fee.

Nobody wants the risk of renting to 3-4 people when one leaving means the rent does not get paid.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Legit landlords don't want an animal house / frat house with their property.

• 1 month ago

"We determined it's best financially to rent a home and have friends join us to split the cost."

-- which is why a landlord doesn't want to rent to you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.