does cooking sherry go well with oxtail ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I'v never heard of cooking sherry but if it is a dry sherry

then I can see no problems adding it to ox-tail that will be cooked slowly, thus burning off the alcohol

• 1 month ago

Braised tail may be a smart direction to form ahead. refrigerant the baked tail hardens any excess fat and makes it easier to get rid of. like most cooked meats, tail cooked in fortified wine freezes well.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No.................

• 1 month ago

Braised Oxtail in Pedro Ximénez Sherry is perfect for those cooler days and nights. Stick to your ribs richness pairs perfectly with a robust red wine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cooking Sherry goes well with Nothing. Use the real stuff. 

• 1 month ago

Buy a bottle of indecent merlot (Trader Joe's Charles Shaw) and use it in the dish and as a beverage with the meal. It's not primo, but it is drinkable, kinda.

• 1 month ago

I would probably not use something with that much sugar for oxtail, I'd probably be wanting to use a little red.

And any sort of "cooking" wine should be avoided like the plague.  Always use a wine you'd be willing to drink.  It doesn't have to be a $100 bottle of wine, but at least something you'd be willing to put into your mouth.

The history of "cooking" wine was that in the fine homes that could afford to have cooks the wine given to the cook to cook with would be heavily salted to keep the cook from drinking it!  So avoid all cooking wines.  I typically splash in some of whatever is in my glass, which occasionally ends up being beer or even tequila or vodka.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes to cook it down low and slow.

• Ouch. Cooking sherry is LOADED with salt. If you use it in place of actual sherry, do not add salt until after the sherry is in and cooked down because you could easily oversalt.

That being said, sherry is probably not the most traditional alcohol to use with shortribs (red wine or maybe brandy would be more commonly used), but there are plenty of beef recipes that use sherry and sherry is so damn good, it should be just fine.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I heard the stuff is nasty and doesn't help any dish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.