Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 month ago

is the average person richer or poorer compared to 20 years ago?

• JuanB

20 years ago I had a telephone with a landline that cost more than my smartphone today.  That smartphone also has more memory and better internet access than my computer 20 years ago too.

• Ray

The average person is richer. By richer i do not simply mean more income in a given currency, i mean wealthier in assets and assess to goods and services. 

Goods and services are cheaper. 20 years ago a computer was thousands of dollars, now the average Joe has a stronger labtop which is cheap, sometimes less than $200. 

Food, services, transportation etc all of these are cheaper and more accessible than ever. Judging income solely on how much of a given currency people acquire is narrow minded. 

• Oiy

In the US, the average real wage has been stagnated since the 1970s. So the average Americans are poorer. In the World, the average persons are richer because of economic growth has killed the absolute poverty.

depends on the person

"Every election, roughly half the population votes Democrat, the other half votes Republican. I understand why Republicans get 1% of the vote . . . the richest 1%. That other 49% (of Americans) someone will just have to explain to me. The facts about what the Republicans have done to the Middle Class are beyond reasonable doubt. And yet their base refuses to see it. The moneyed elite of America are dragging a bag filled with your future down the steps and your reaction is, "Hold on there, that looks heavy, let me give you a hand getting that into your trunk."" Bill Maher

Poorer. Thanks to Gross Old Pervert policies.