Anonymous

Is it cultural appropriation for me to celebrate dia de Los muertos ?

My grandpa died this year.  And it still hurts. But I been reading and learning about dia de Los muertos a lot and it’s beautiful. I want to honor my grandpa that way but since it’s not part of my culture I’m scared I’ll just be appropriating it. I just don’t want him to feel forgotten and just visiting his grave doesn’t feel enough.

Who cares what anyone else thinks ?Cultural appropriation is bu!!$hit anyway. You're doing something you think is positive. I guess I could understand someone being all butthurt if you were making fun of or being disrespectful to their tradition but if it's with good intentions, do whatever you want !

Si dios quiere.

Tacos are Mayan food. The Spanish language came from Europe. Mexican wrestling was invented by a German. Mexican music derived from German music. Pinatas were brought to Mexico by Chinese immigrants. Mexican culture is fraudulent and doesn't actually exist. 

i dont think youre doing anything wrong

If people around the world celebrate Halloween a holiday that technically is from America with Irish and Ancient Roman riots then why wouldn’t we celebrate dia de los muertos which is a holiday that has roots from Ancient Rome, Ireland, Spain, and Aztec mythology?