Dev asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Film lens filters help?

Hi there. I have a canon Ae-1 program with a 50mm 1:1.4 FD Mount lens and I am interested in purchasing a Tiffen Promist filter, but am unsure of what size filter I should be getting. Some places have said, 52mm others 58mm, could someone help me out? It would be a tremendous help to me and would help me out in the future. 

#filmphotography #film #lens #lensfilter

9 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    The Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 has no marking to indicate the filter thread size. That useful bit of information was absent from many Canon FD lenses. 

    But I've just checked on my copy of that lens and the lens cap has 52mm moulded on the rear. So it takes a 52mm filter.

    If you get a 58mm filter then it will fit a few more lenses up to that filter size, but then you need filter thread stepping rings: don't bother, as they're just another thing to go wrong and good used 52mm filters are cheap and plentiful. 

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    It should say on the front of the lens what size filter it takes. A 50mm f/1.4 lens should take 52mm filters. For example the circle with a diagonal line through it means filter size, and the 52 next to the symbol indicates 52mm filter diameter. unfortunately the FD 50mm f/1.4 lens does not do that on the front of the lens. 

    Attachment image
  • 4 weeks ago

    Filters help minimize glare and reflections, enhance colors, reduce light coming into the lens, and more. 

  • keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Look under the lens cap.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    iether measure it or some lens have what size filter printed on them . or you can simply take the camera to the photoshop and have them fit it .

  • qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If there are no marking on the lens to indicate filter diameter, then measure the diameter of the threads with a metric scale (ruler).

  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Usually the filter diameter is written on the lens. It is not the focal length (that is 50mm), but it is noted by a small circle with a line across the circle. Indeed it is likely 52mm, or 55mm, or 58mm.

  • 1 month ago

    As you are, no doubt, aware earlier Canon lenses did NOT come with a mark on them to indicate which size filters fit.  I've just checked on my Canon 50mm f1.8 FD Mount lens.

    On MY lens, I already have a Skylight filter attached, which has a diameter of 52mm.  Having said that, the f1.4 MAY have a different filter thread size.  (Apparently, Canon lenses used to come in two filter sizes, both 52mm and 55mm for the f1.8 and the f1.4).  You can check which size you need by measuring across the front of the lens with a ruler.  (Measure straight across the lens, ensuring that your ruler goes right across the aperture/shutter leaves.  You can clearly see this on examination.)

  • 1 month ago

    Look at the front of the lens. 

    There should be a circle with a line through it and a two-digit number right next to it. 

    That is the filter size.     


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.