Alexa asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

What is the smoke quality like on the Pacific Coastal Highway in CA right now?

I was planning a road trip from Portland Oregon all the way down to San Diego taking the coastal highway 101 scenic route. I planned to stop first in the mount Shasta area and then stopping again for a few days in the San Luis Obispo area. I was supposed to leave the last week of September but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where all the smoke from fires are affecting and the direction of which the smoke is blowing. I'd assume its blowing in the opposite direction away from the coastline but, I'm not exactly sure if id still run into extremely poor air quality on this route or not? If anyone from the area knows any updates and details to smoke and air quality or any route closures, please let me know. Thank you!

It's pretty bad around Bruce Heath since it went up in flames.

• Who

its the best smoke its had for years , beats the sh//t out of fresh air

"I'd assume its blowing in the opposite direction away from the coastline"

This is a bit stupid

If you are ON the coastllne - ANY direction east or west is AWAY from it

If it were me, I'd replan this trip to a time when these wildfires have subsided.   The authorities have enough on their hands without having to deal with holidaymakers.   The very nature of wild fires is their movement is unknown.   You may be fine travelling down the coastal route.   You may actually see not much and have breathing difficulties depending on how the wind is.

Smoky up to WA. state so it seems to be following the west coast.