What was so wonderful and amazing about Olivia Newton John's "Physical" to where it was a #1 song for 10 straight weeks in 1981/82?

IMO "Physical" wasn't even one of Olivia Newton John's best songs and there were a few other songs from late 1981/early 1982 I felt deserved to be a #1 hit such as Foreigner's "Waiting For A Girl Like You", The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" and Earth, Wind & Fire's "Let's Groove".

Favorite Answer

It was suggestive, maybe more than that. And an awful song, nothing amazing about it. The most popular is very rarely the best, or even good. I cringe just thinking about it. If I'm singing it while I'm trying to go to sleep tonight, I'll, I'll, I'll...................not be happy with you.

It was a perfect song for the times when people were starting to get into exercise and the song was suggestive for the time but would not raise one eyebrow today. I personally liked the song that came out after that one called Make A Move On Me better than Physical 

It hit at the time working put was just becoming a thing.  It was the video that kept it on top.

• mars

True. Also the Aerobics-craze was big then, inc. Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda.

Hot females in leotards. Whenever the video was on, I’m watching it.