Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 weeks ago

Leather cleaning advice please?

Wore my leather boots to a very muddy corn maze. How can I safely clean without ruining them so they are black & shiny again?

Favorite Answer

Wait for the mud to dry completely and much will fall off when you shake the boots. Use a soft brush or soft cleaning cloth to gently brush off more of the dry mud. mud. When I need to clean leather I use cleaners made for leather such as saddle soap.  When I don't have that then I use dish liquid and warm water. Use a soft cloth and warm water and soap away the mud. Don't press hard -that grinds in some fine dusts and it can scrape the leather. Use a toothbrush to clean along the soles and and the little areas like around the buckles and seams. Let the boots dry. Apply mink oil with a cotton ball to re-condition the leather. The mink oil will also remove any remaining dirt. Mink oil will also make the boots a bit more water and dirt resistant. Let the oil sink in overnight. After use a highly pigmented wax polish to bring back the color. I prefer using polish after reconditioning the leather. Soft clean leather absorbs more color than leather with traces of dirt.  If you can't find mink oil at a shoe store or shoe repair shop then use baby oil or -even better - Avon's skin so soft bath oil. My cowboy cousin from Alberta uses skin so soft on dry leather and swears by it. If the boots are still cloudy looking even after a high pigment polish then they might need professional help. A shoe repair guy can use a stronger cleaner and touch up the dye. The shoe place will also buff the up to whatever level of shine you want. 

Holy **** that is the dirtiest pair of shoes I have ever seen!!!!

Good lord, how did you get yourself into this mess!?!?!?

Wow! Those are some nice boots that you got really muddy. 

Carefully wash them with mild soap & water. Be sure to dry them with a soft towel. After that apply some mink oil or even vasoline to shine them up. Good luck!

Get some saddle soap.  It is sold where shoe polishes are sold.

Wash with plenty of warm water with a little dishwashing soap. Leave to dry then polish with good quality shoe polish.