Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 weeks ago

Was it the worst proposal ever?

I actually didn't mean to propose to her like this but it ended up that way. We were on the bed, in the other room there were my brothers talking loud and arguing. My girlfriend had her head on my chest and run her fingers on my skin and face, then she said something like 'I love staying like this, hearing my love's heartbeat'. Then I said 'one day, when we get married, we'll have the whole apartment for us and we won't have to worry anymore about my brothers'. My girlfriend's eyes lit up and she was kind of shocked, kept saying 'are you serious we are getting married?' I said yes, why not? I mean, it's what we look forward to. She was excited the whole time and kept hugging me and kissing me, she kissed me especially many times on my shirt where the heart is supposed to be. I am a bit disappointed about myself cause I can't seem to love her romantically like she does, I mean, I wish I was as tender as she is. Why did she take it as a proposal? It wasn't that I planned to propose her on the bed.

• Foofa

Given that it doesn't sound like you two are anywhere near the financial independence necessary to forge a lasting married you'd probably do best to call this a "promissory". An agreement to follow through at some later date after you both get your lives together. 

• g

That was a proposal? "one day, when we get married ..." just says to me that you're thinking about the future possibilities.

• Trish

You don't have to wish you were more like her she Loves you for who you are.  I didn't realize that was a proposal it seems more like a few words spoken on the subject of marriage.  Make sure to have more and deeper discussions whether in the bedroom or elsewhere preferably.

Did you talk with her about the ordeal? Maybe she was just excited that you were talking about marriage. Maybe she was under the impression you were unsure about being wed to her, and when you mentioned it, she got excited. Ask and see if she really took that as her proposal.

Sounds rather nice actually.  Just because you have proposed a bit early, you can have a very long 'engagement'.  Carry on with her as you are and tell her that you will do a proper, romantic proposal (the roses, on one knee - whatever - and the ring (when you can afford it) - quite a way in the future.  Sounds like the pair of you are very happy together.  

Getting engaged is essentially a couple agreeing to get married - it doesn't actually need a proposal on one knee, or a ring.

So if your future plans are to get married - then technically, you're engaged. 

Go away, troll.    Most of us recognize you.

Sure who cares, she seems to have liked it. Mission accomplished.

It sounds like you guys are a bunch of a 17 year olds. Anyways, don’t say something to a girl that you don’t mean. I was once in your position where a girl was obsessed with me but I wasn’t that into her. I tried forcing myself to be with her but it was just unbearable. It never worked out and I eventually told her. She was upset but she got over it in like 3 days so it was never really “true love”