Lv 7

UK Plumbing - water shut off value covering?

New premises and I may need to turn the water off external to the property, so I lifted up the iron flap in the pavement (marked for Severn Trent Water) and took out the foam disc thing a few feet down. But rather than a water meter or a shut off valve there is something like a metal / plastic circular cover almost as wide as the hole and a big shiney bolt head (maybe 3cm diameter) right in the middle of it. Any ideas what it is and/or how to proceed?


Sorry,  valve not value!

Update 2:

Hexagonal bolt head btw

Update 3:

Having looked at another property down the road it seems like this is the fitting that a water meter would be attached to, except the water is now inside the property.  Thanks for the answers

7 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    That is the water company's valve, you should have your own just inside the boundary of the property or in the house and another one below the kitchen sink. Often the company valve can shut off water to several houses.

  • 1 month ago

    isn't there some kind of stop cock or pipe that leads to your house with a tap on it ??

    most city homes have maids fed water mate.

    there must be another little cover hatch thing, that runs from the mains fed pipe directly to yours and its here that you can  turn it off i think.

    if that doesn't work hire a fecking professional aka a plumber ^_^


  • 1 month ago

    some houses have an external valve for the entire house located just where the water line enters the house itself. depending on age, inside [basement or crawl space is a likely location], or outside [likely under a round cover about 45 cm from the house wall, or actually embedded in the wall itself.].  would help, mate, if you told us how old this house is ...

  • Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    That has to be the stopcock. Use a hexagon socket and a long bar to turn it clockwise for off. Be gentle with it as I doubt it needs much effort to turn the water off and you don't want to damage it.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    majority of stop valves in pavement have a T head ..but i own a turn off with a hexicon head ..only ever used it once ...never come across similar since ..and i live in severn trent area!..normally when you open up a modern one it has a round piece of polystyrene to remove first ..valve two feet below that 

  • ..
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    I would think that you need to prise off the cover to see what's underneath.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    I showed this to my husband, he said you need to phone Severn Trent for instructions. Sounds like nothing he has come across before.


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.