How can I make my car last 200,000 miles?

I really like it and want to keep it for a long time, how can I make it last 200,000+ miles?

You can make it last by continuing to get whatever you break or wear out fixed or replaced.  It's easier to allow it to last that long by garaging it, driving it gently and following the recommendations in the owners manual.

• F

The highest mileage I have run a car to is 170 000 miles.

It only had 5 sets of tyres, three exhausts, three batteries, 3,sets of front brake discs and the following replaced  water pump , carburettor , camshaft, clutch,  shock absorbers, a spring, indicator stalk .

It also had 3 crashes so many body panels and lights were also changed.

Oil and filter were changed every 6000 miles.

It depends greatly on the vehicle - you can take two of any make/model of car off the assembly line one right after the other, and one will go indefinitely with only basic maintenance, while the other will break down every time you look at it wrong, and turn into a money pit.

Regular oil changes and other routine maintenance, and not driving it like you stole it can make a car last longer, but other than that it is a crap shoot.

Avoid car crashes.

I had a 1972 Dodge Colt that I drove more than 280,000 miles. How did I do it? 3 engines, 4 transmissions and clutches, and a differential. I sold it in 1993 and it was still running well and fun to drive with no power steering or air conditioner.

• CB

Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and have a savings account to fix the more expensive items that may or may not happen before 200,000 miles. Expect to throw money at it at some point  - and you won't be blindsided and happy if it doesn't happen.

A lot of that would depend on the make, model and year of your car.

Not all cars are designed and built as well as the best ones.

Change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 miles if running synthetic oil. Check the oil level every 1,000 mils and top it up so it never gets below halfway between the dipstick marks.

If it's an automatic do an ATF drain and fill every 60,000 miles. Antifreeze should be changed every 4 years. 

replace parts as they wear out.  Good luck.

There are bound to be things to take care of, but "yes" modern cars will easily go 200,000 miles.  

The likelihood is that at some point it will get written off in an accident or you will grow tired of it and decide it is not worth looking after.