Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

Drawing naked people in art class?

What's the point in drawing them when they're there in the flesh, is there a meaning to it. I wanted to take a picture to draw on my canvas later in the comfort and peaceful quiet-ness of my own art room, rather than sitting there all day in an uncomfortable seat, room, and people all day =(. But then a friend called me a pervert for wanting to snap a pic of her for myself.... Gee there was also a dude there too. So really, aside from finding pictures of nude people all over the internet that I could easily also draw/paint. Whats makes them being there in the flesh so different?

Favorite Answer

Photos are 2-D. Human beings are 3-D. You're learning how to translate 3-D reality into a 2-D drawing. Using a photo as your "model" doesn't enable you to do that. Yes, lots of artists train by copying other artists' 2-D paintings/drawings too, but that's intended for learning a different skill set than what you get from "life drawing."

• John P

The other point about taking a photo to copy later as a painting is that you might publish that photo n a website etc, and thus annoy the model.

I'm too perverted to ever do it, sorry I don' know, so sorry!

• Nick

Scares the prudes out. No one wants prudes in art classes, it impedes creativity.

But seriously, photos are other people's art. You have to look at the subject and make your own decisions, not copy the decisions someone else made.

Just draw her, you anon twit. Face it, it's probably the last time you'll ever see one like that without paying, or marrying your cousin. Hope this helped.

The point is that a camera translates 3D into 2D for you. It requires a lot less brainpower and skill to copy a 2D image into another 2D medium. 

The reason you are supposed to draw naked people is because you need to understand human anatomy if you want to draw humans in the future. It is traditional for the reason that the human body is a central subject in art, we are a lot more interested in humans than say trees. 

But whether you draw a bunch of apples or people, the idea is that you have learned to look at either as a pattern of colors and shapes, not a 3D object in order to transfer their likeness onto a 2D medium like paper. 

• Cogito

I suggest that you do what you want - look for images online and paint those.

Leave the life classes to people who have some talent for art and understand the difference.

Nudity is a form of art, if you were unaware.