How come the $100 (Dell) year 2020 desktop computer is a better computer than the $2700 (Compaq) year 2000  desktop computer?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Computer technology advances incredibly fast every year, even every month. So, it is impossible to make this comparison. The technology is now very advanced, and more affordable in price than 20 years ago. (at that time, things that are popular today, were expensive pieces that few could afford to buy)

• 4 weeks ago

the technology is better

• Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

well, back in 2000, they did not have the technology they do now.

every year, processor speeds increase.

honestly, you could pick two computers made in 2020, both DELLs (or both Compaqs) and one may be WAAAY faster than the other. even if they are absolutely identical, it's what's on the inside thst matters. not even brand matters, as every major brand also makes junk computers, too.

just like how a car looks does not reflect what's under the hood.

and a car from 2000 won't necessarily perform as well as one from 2020...

• n/a
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Either you're incredibly stupid for comparing computers with a 20 year gap between them or you're trolling

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Where is this $100 Dell computer?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Because that old $2700 PC came out back when Moore's Law was still valid. The basis of Moore's law was Processing power would double every 2 years. So by 2006 a $2700 PC would be Six times faster.

Moore's Law died somewhere between 2010-2012. However if you compare the overall multicore speed increase between a Core i7-2600 which came out in 2011 to the Core i7-10700 which came out a few months ago, the Core i7-10700 is more than twice as fast. Somewhere in the sands of time, probably between 2006-2008 the $2700 Compaq became buried and mummified. 

• 4 weeks ago

Improvements in technology that allow you to make better components for a fraction of the cost.  Thus you can make a computer that use to have $500 dollars worth of components it with only $50 worth of components today. 

Also they are selling a lot more computer today then they were in 2000.  the more you make and sell, the less profit you have to make off each computer.  If it cost you $5000 for labor, rent, etc .a day to make computers, and you are only sells 50 computers, you have to make a $100 profit off each computer.  But if you are selling 5000 computers, you only have to make a $1 profit off each, so you can cut the price by $99.

• 4 weeks ago

Better components made more cheaply through mass production, lower markups in the supply chain.

I still have the receipt for 16 MB (yes megabytes, not gigabytes) of RAM that I paid $640 for in 1996.  And the 1 GB (yes, one) HDD was $500 in 1995, a real bargain.  My students in the college CADD classes I taught had IBM PS2 computers and 16 color monitors with 15 inch screens.  Real boat anchors that cost only $5500 each to the school on a bulk sale.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.