Anonymous

Should I get a masters degree because I feel like I’m not learning anything in my major due to online classes?

I’m a junior in college. I’m a business marketing major. I only took one marketing course before the pandemic started(fall 2019). As soon as I started taking marketing courses beyond the intro one, the pandemic hit and my school has been virtual ever since, and it doesn’t look like it will go back any time soon. My marketing professor from last semester and my current one aren’t even having lessons and are just doing asynchronous. It’s easy, but I feel like I’m not learning in my major at all. Yes, I go to the marketing club and they say it’s not necessary to get a masters in marketing but...

• fcas80

Finish your major.  If it is too easy, find a project to work on that you think will impress future employers.  Teach yourself something relevant that your fellow majors don't learn.  Get a job with your bachelors and wait awhile before deciding what masters field is best for you.

No. You are jumping ahead of yourself. You are a junior now. If your classes are so easy for you, take the extra time and read other books on business and marketing or take a course on Coursera. It also isn't too early to start looking for potential internships for next summer.

Marketing is a broad area.  Have you decided what type of career you want or what type of job you want to do? Digital Media? Writing? Agency? Corporate? PR?Employers are going to hire based on three things: actual ability, attitude, and probably the fact that you earned a bachelors degree.  Staying out of the job market to get a degree that isn't necessary is not going to improve your chances of getting hire.  You are better off taking control of your destiny by find other channels to learn what you thing you want or need to learn.

In addition, you can't even apply to grad school for another year and you'll need to take the GMAT or GRE as well.  

You can, of course, withdraw from college until in-person classes resume.

If you feel like online learning doesn't meet your style, you should consider withdrawing until your school resumes in-person learning, transfer to one of the many universities that have in-person classes, or, if you have any GEs remaining, withdraw and finish the GEs at the local community college. 

Your rational for considering a master's doesn't make much sense - you are concerned that you aren't learning enough.  How will you be successful at the master's level, if you don't have the foundation?