Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What’s good etiquette if it’s a weekend and I find out a colleague has died in a wreck?Should I call the boss and tell him or wait till work?

For example it’s Saturday at 9 o’clock at night and I get a call from my colleague Tommy’s son and Tommy and One of his other his other sons have been killed in a car crash on the beltway in the state of Virginia. Do I call the boss at 9 o’clock at night and say “ Joe sorry to call you at home but Tommy was killed in a car wreck with his teenage son“. Or do I just wait until Monday morning and then tell him? 

Just asking in case this were to happen sometime.  

Lili: Tommy’s son has my phone number as our families are friends.

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

This is not a matter of "etiquette". Your boss should be informed as soon as reasonably possible. This is a colleague, someone he works with.  For both personal and professional reasons, he needs to be told right away.

Since he might be out on a Saturday night, you can call him Sunday morning if necessary.

I should say, however, that it would be more likely for Tommy's son to call the boss first than to call you, unless he happens to have your home number but not the boss's.

Neither. I would call him first thing on Sunday morning.

it might be better to wait till worktime

Good etiquette is to not spread personal information of another family until it is asked of you or until after the obituary is published. To do so is disrespectful to the other family.

No wait till Monday when he’s trying to figure out why in the world Tommy didn’t come to work and he’s really mad at Tommy and then you can tell him it’ll soften his heart. 

Why in the world are you planning for something like this?

• J

That’s a very specific (and fûcked up) situation to plan for. Why would it be your responsibility to tell the boss that a coworker died, and why would you know about it before the boss?