Max
Lv 5
Max asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 1 month ago

Why is skim milk one of the ingredients in Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream?

I saw one of the ingredients was skim milk and was very disappointed. Isn't heavy whipping cream simply cream with preservatives? Since when are brands adding skim milk to what should just be cream? 

Thanks in advance.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I saw that and said "WTF!"  Look on the Internet -- DAMN!!

Yep!  Land o' Lands "heavy whipping cream" is merely "mostly cream."  Just like Miracle Max's "only mostly dead."  They do not state what is the percentage of their "heavy whipping cream" -- it could be 49% skimmed milk with goo to make it thick.

---

I checked the carton for my cream, it is 99.5%+ heavy cream.

That is from Aldi --

Attachment image
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Perhaps they market it as low calorie or some such. A reason to raise the price. 

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why? Personal preference.

That could be a way that they separate themselves from the competition. It is primarily heavy cream but they add some skim milk for added volume. Skim milk can actually be whipped in a blender but the result is more foamier and it's not as stable as heavy cream. The key is that extra foam can help their whipped cream stand a little taller than their competition. 

Go down to your local convenience store or grocery store and buy yourself some ice cream but make sure you buy the best ice cream because it will be creamier than the cheap ice crystal filled gallon buckets of flavored milk cream. They call it ice cream but anybody used to ice cream from Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs would be sorely disappointed with the flavor and texture of those cheap gallon buckets of ice cream. They also freeze slower, at the factory, so ice crystals have more time to form. 

Why is this dude talking about ice cream? I asked about whipped cream!!!!

Imagine what the Italians thought the first time they tried our ice cream. We whip more air into our ice cream but the Italians have had and have been perfecting gelato since the 1600's and it is SO much thicker and creamier. We use air to fluff up our ice cream and Land O' Lakes uses a lighter milk to add some extra volume to theirs. It may not be a perfect comparison but it simply shows the differences in recipes and technique. The same way Land O' Lakes makes their whipped cream their way. 

The point is that everybody will have their own recipe and neither is wrong but for everybody they will have their favorites. Nor can all companies have the exact same recipe either. My cinnamon roll recipe did belong to Betty Crocker who asked for 2 tablespoons of butter to be spread over the unbaked dough and then a sprinkling of sugar and then brown sugar. MY cinnamon roll recipe asks for nearly 3/4 cup of butter and margarine( the water in the margarine does something right that butter alone can't manage) and MUCH more brown sugar and a little heavier sprinkling of regular sugar. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.