Anonymous

why do so many people have negative opinions of "Fraternity" and "Sorority" people? jealousy? why?

are they most likely "republicans" or "Democrats"? why?

Favorite Answer

1. They are known for rampant alcoholism

2. They whore around all the time

3. They're usually living off of Daddy's money while everyone else is busy working and taking care of themselves.

4. They tend to think they're better than everyone else.

• HMFan

Having attended college and worked in a college town, the Greek houses I saw seemed to be more interested in dehumanizing its members, drinking, partying, and generally misbehaving rather than developing brotherhood/sisterhood and a viable social support system. Oftentimes, going away to college is a person’s first foray into living independently and out from under the watchful eye of his/her parents. Fraternities and sororities can offer the experience of a “surrogate home”—living in a dedicated, off-campus building with “siblings”—but just like leaving your kids home alone, things can get a bit out of hand if there’s no one in charge. In some of the worst instances of this, some students have unfortunately lost their lives (like Timothy Piazza). For some people, fraternities or sororities are very important and integral parts of their college career and beyond, but not for me.

• Cogito

I've read about those concepts and everything I've read is negative.

In the UK we don't have such things.  Anyone can be friends with anyone else at university, share accommodation with anyone they want to, and so on.  

It seems a crazy idea to me and most Brits to form elitist single-gender groups who apparently convince themselves that they're better than anyone else.

• Daddio

Probably because the idiots in them get face time on the news