Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

What are some of the best thillers to read?

• Zac Z

The label "thriller" could be applied to so many books that it's impossible to say which are "the best" ones. Ultimately it comes down to taste, in the subject matter, the writing style, etc.

Here are some books that can be categorized as thrillers that I enjoyed:

- "The Select" by F. Paul Wilson - I read this one years ago and it glued me to the seat, couldn't stop reading. Another one by Wilson, co-written with Matthew J. Costello, is "Masque" (republished as "DNA Wars"); it's an SF thriller. Those two, unlike many of Wilson's other books are stand-alones.

- "The Eight" by Katherine Neville - a mystery thriller about a mysterious chess set (and much more!); it has two narrative strands, one in the late 18th century, the other one recent modern times, which eventually connect; it's awesome!

- I was surprised about Spence's answer because it seems that he talks about movies (Hitchcock didn't write any thrillers, I don't think he wrote any books!) and my mind doesn't go directly to Stephen King when I hear "thriller" but I guess you could characterize many of his books as such. I'm a huge King fan but I'll just recommend "Misery" which definitely is a thrill. Another lesser known book of his that I love is "The Long Walk". I guess you could call it a thriller, too. It's about a televised marathon in the near future with 100 contestants - but with a twist. The rules are easy: you have to keep walking longer than the others. The winner gets a prize so high that they will be set for life; the others, if they stop walking, get shot.

- Also check out Michael Crichton's books. They are fast-paced and so engaging that you want to keep turning those pages.

• Spike

Black Sunday by Thomas Harris

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three by John Godey 

TWO-MINUTE WARNING by George La Fountaine 

The Company: A Novel of the CIA by Robert Littell 

Girls' Night Out: A Novel by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke 

Red Dragon by  Thomas Harris

Silence Of The Lamb by Thomas Harris

Hannibal by Thomas Harris

What You Did by Claire McGowan 

Fatal Cure (A Medical Thriller) by Robin Cook

Death Benefit (A Medical Thriller) by Robin Cook

Genesis by Robin Cook

Life Support by Tess Gerritsen

Harvest by Tess Gerritsen

Rizzoli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen

Legends: A Novel by Robert Littell 

The Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell 

The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom

Fatherland by Robert Harris

• Spence

IT, The Shining, Anything by Alfred Hitchcock.