Why does tanning make me happy ?

For some reason, when I’m outside getting tanned. I feel really happy. I’ve never really felt so happy and calm before. Does being in the sun release endorphins?

Favorite Answer

because the uv rays provide vitamin d like regular sunlight, and vitamin d lifts your mood.

Yes, The sun and indoor tanning beds  release a lot of happy hormones in your brain (and your whole body - hello vitamin D) and tanning beds do the same thing. It's chemically similar to an opioid high. And unfortunately both sun tanning and indoor tanning carry the same risks when it comes to skin cancer. Medical journals have papers written by doctors who study  the very real addiction to the highs of tanning. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/06/sun-gettin...  reports on one of the earliest studies. It doesn't give reccomendations on how to break the cycle. Here's a story from someone who did break the cycles https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care...  and I hope you don't end up with skin cancer because that sh*t is nasty. I had a tumour removed from my head as a child and I no longer have a whorl on the top of my head. That was back in 1970. It started as a strawberry birthmark and it became cancerous.  Any time a little mole or so called beauty spot appears I need it removed and biopsied immediately. 

You need to research this on your own. A simple search term like "getting high from tanning" will bring thousands of articles including first person experiences and more. The best treat to start is education. Learn what's happening, why it's happening and how to stop the cycle as painlessly as possible.

"Increasing people's knowledge of the skin cancer risk associated with UV light exposure does not by itself reduce [tanning]," he notes. "UV light itself has a reinforcing effect that is valued by tanners and contributes to tanning behavior." UV light may trigger mood-improving endorphins in the skin, he explains.