Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Is the flat earth theory plausible?

Experiment. !!! 

On the largest piece of paper you can find, draw the largest possible circle. Now take the smallest possible arc of that circle ; it is a flat/straight line. 

Seriously? not in the least

What do you mean "plausible"?

The flat Earth theory matches the naked eye observations of someone living away from any sea or ocean, never phone to someone in another time zone, never uses a GPS, etc.

Within the limits of your village, if you have a 2 digit IQ, the flat Earth theory is perfectly valid since it's enough for your everyday life. 

Of course, if you're curious, if you travel sometime beyond the horizon, you need something more precise, more ”global” where your approximately flat piece of land is in fact a tiny part of a much bigger sphere.

I'm old enough to have sailed with a sextant. 

All the trigonometry involved in a celestial fix is based on a spherical Earth.

I never missed my destination 

It isn't a theory.  Theories are falsifiable and based on evidence.  It's a belief which is easily refuted in many different ways, notably by using train timetables and traffic cams.

• garry

yes it is plausible especially if you not modern and still believes in old theories which religion controled  .

sure. place the earth out in a plane and give it a slightly convex surface.

the make it 'expand' outwards.

be sure the place it on a bed of f'iur soes it kin rest easy suspended on hot a'ir ye'knw.

An then...an then....aaaaann then! aaaaaaaaaannn then!

Not in a Billion Years

I live by the sea myself and on good weather I can watch ships sail over the Horizon

Their Funnel is the last to disappear

• Tom

Not at all---NOTHING in space is FLAT--everything bigger than 300 miles or so is a sphere.

• John

It's not actually plausible that anyone is ignorant enough to believe it or even ask the question.

Only to those capable of ignoring 2400 years of Earth science (since Aristotle), thousands of photos of Earth from space, and the difference between being shaped like a pizza and shaped like a basketball