Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Is the flat earth theory plausible?

38 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Experiment. !!! 

On the largest piece of paper you can find, draw the largest possible circle. Now take the smallest possible arc of that circle ; it is a flat/straight line. 

• 1 month ago

Seriously? not in the least

• 1 month ago

What do you mean "plausible"?

The flat Earth theory matches the naked eye observations of someone living away from any sea or ocean, never phone to someone in another time zone, never uses a GPS, etc.

Within the limits of your village, if you have a 2 digit IQ, the flat Earth theory is perfectly valid since it's enough for your everyday life. 

Of course, if you're curious, if you travel sometime beyond the horizon, you need something more precise, more ”global” where your approximately flat piece of land is in fact a tiny part of a much bigger sphere.

I'm old enough to have sailed with a sextant. 

All the trigonometry involved in a celestial fix is based on a spherical Earth.

I never missed my destination 

• 1 month ago

It isn't a theory.  Theories are falsifiable and based on evidence.  It's a belief which is easily refuted in many different ways, notably by using train timetables and traffic cams.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

yes it is plausible especially if you not modern and still believes in old theories which religion controled  .

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

sure. place the earth out in a plane and give it a slightly convex surface.

the make it 'expand' outwards.

be sure the place it on a bed of f'iur soes it kin rest easy suspended on hot a'ir ye'knw.

An then...an then....aaaaann then! aaaaaaaaaannn then!

• 1 month ago

Not in a Billion Years

I live by the sea myself and on good weather I can watch ships sail over the Horizon

Their Funnel is the last to disappear

Attachment image
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not at all---NOTHING in space is FLAT--everything bigger than 300 miles or so is a sphere.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not actually plausible that anyone is ignorant enough to believe it or even ask the question.

• 1 month ago

Only to those capable of ignoring 2400 years of Earth science (since Aristotle), thousands of photos of Earth from space, and the difference between being shaped like a pizza and shaped like a basketball

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.