Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 4 weeks ago

Is vb.net basically C++ and C# ?

What's the difference between them? and which one of them would you recommend using?

Other people have already answered the way I would, so I'll say that I recommend C# , purely from the standpoint of it looking better on your CV.

So far after using both, I've yet to find something one can do and the other can't, except for maybe being able to have specific 'Exit Sub' or 'Exit While' clauses in VB.

C# is more widely used though, and is more of a 'traditional' syntax style.

It's different.

the .net system is M$'s way of getting VB and C# modules to work together, after they are compiled, much the same way as Basic used to use Assembler routines (but that was more the programmer linking them properly). So using .net means that M$ routines can share methods and functions between VB and C#. 

C# is not quite the same as C++, although it does share the same structure. It's M$'s version of C++, with some small functional differences.

VB is probably the simpler of the two M$ languages, and easier to use. It fits well with Word, EXCEL and SQL, if you want to add macros to these (see VBA).

C# is more powerful, overall, so you can do a lot more with it than with VB. 

As for recommendation, it depends on what you want to do with the language. But today's development areas seem to be more along the lines of Python (and PHP), which suggests going more along those lines. 

(I've worked with multiple computer languages, starting from the 1960's, even helped in their development. That includes legacy languages such as COBOL, Fortran, Basic, Assembler, LISP and others. And with the newer ones that are more powerful than any of those, including scripting ones like VBscript, JavaScript as well as the mainstream ones.)

• yes, stupid question

• Lv 7

vb.NET s actually Visual Basic with .NET embedded, hence the name.

VB shares a few commonalities with C++ (as does C#, hence its name), but they are all different languages, i assure you.

C++ is probably the most comprehensive one out there.

C# is closer to Java.

• EddieJ

VB.NET is a version of Visual Basic that uses the same .NET framework as C#.

That means it shares a large library of functions and methods with C#.

You should use the one that you WANT to use.  If you don't WANT to use any one in particular, then flip a coin.

• Chris

VB .NET is "superpowered" BASIC, if you will.

C++ is C, with object oriented programming on top.

C# is basically a Java clone by Microsoft.

If you are a beginner and want to learn programming I suggest starting with Python. It's very suitable for beginners.

VB.net and C++/C# are different languages. with different capabilities and features. 

Since they have different features, I would need to know what you want to do before I can recomment one.