how to keep radiators running if temp drops below 1ºc?

reason l want this is to prevent pipes bursting in my upstairs flat, where l thankfully do get some heat from downstairs.

thanks to the great yahoo answers community, l learnt that l should keep my heating running everytime temperature dips <0ºc, but how do l do this? my worcester 12i boiler has a dial that goes from snow flake symbol to flame symbol, 1 to 6 but no temperatures. so is the suggestion to keep it running at the snow flake symbol, with the left  heating button on 24hours when temperature dips <0ºc? do l have to keep all the radiators thermostat dials (on off rotation from 0 to 9) above 0? as  some rooms are just not used.

oh, is it damaging for the boiler to have the bar just above 2 at rest (havent used in 18hours). it goes up to about 3 with both heating and hot water on. worcester engineer serviced ~month ago, who said it is great condition.

thanks for help yahoo folks :)

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There must be a thermostat in the system somewhere in the house. A small box with a dial marked on degrees C or F, or with a LED display showing temperature.

Have you never used it to regulate the temperature that the boiler normally heats the house to?

Just set the thermostat to around 3 C whenever you do not need heat in the house.  Quite possibly in modern systems there is a dual thermostat, you can set one for normal heat, and the other for 3 C etc. The snowflake symbol is most likely that lower setting.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Check the instruction manual, most boilers have frost protection. Normally it should come on at 5deg rather than wait for it to start freezing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.