Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Would airships like Hindenburg help make air travel covid safe?

In the 1930s airships like the Graf Zeppelin and the Hindenburg were the primary form of long haul passenger air travel?

Would this “steampunk solution” be possible? 

Imagine having enough space for 6 foot distance in beautiful lounges and such

Imagine having a virtuoso pianist onboard with a lounge singer duet where you can hear the beautiful sultry vocals of standards like Dream a Little Dream of Me and Blue Moon and other standards

Imagine all this while watching the world below from broad expanses of windows?

Imagine the quiet experience and glide of the ship as it’s engines make very little noise?

Wouldn’t this be better than sardines packed tin can jetliners ?

Update:

The Hindenburg type airship would fly lower (About 500 feet high) and could open windows For natural ventilation of the cabin to reduce virus concentration.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

How coronavirus could create the perfect storm for an airship revival ... Lighter-than-air flight is quiet and uses less fuel during a long journey than planes do just ... However, with the Hindenburg ultimately meeting the same fate as the R101, the question of safety remains the big elephant on the flight deck.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yet another cluless troll.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  Only the very rich could afford to travel in a blimp with that level of luxury and a ridiculous passenger to crew ratio.  You are cooped up with the crew and other passengers for days instead of hours.   People that rich can just fly in a private plane.

• 1 month ago

No, the would be worse because you're in a confined space longer and they didn't have the air filtration systems of modern aircraft.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

What evidence do you have which says air travel is not safe due to the airplanes themselves?  

From the CDC:  "Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes. "

The bigger risk is that you're sitting close to someone which wouldn't really change with a different vessel.  The operator would still pack people in.  Being in the airport and through security would not change either.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/traveler...

And, yes, blimps are extremely slow.  10+ years ago John Madden raced the Goodyear blimp across the country in his Madden Cruiser (RV).  It wasn't close with Madden winning easily.   (He did have drivers and typically went 24 hours a day, that's hardly relevant here.)

• 1 month ago

My late Dad was in Naval Air for WW2 and Korea.  Blimps were used for surveillance over shipyards and vessels at sea.  This is because they used less fuel to stay up for long times, and could monitor area well.  They were slower than paint drying.  We lived off the base and when we were kids playing outside, in an open ball field on s sunny day, it would suddenly get darker, and we could hear what we thought might be sudden rain - but it was the crew throwing us Hershey kisses, as they were headed to shipyard duty.  These things are not easy to maintain, and I do not even know of any that are still in flight regularly, except Goodyear.  Blimps and dirigibles did their job - and now just do advertising flyovers.  Highly inefficient for modern transportation demands. And enclosure in the gondola could not be financially beneficial..  if so, you would see lots of them.  There are other technical things I could share, but I said enough to reply.

• 1 month ago

You are thinking too much into this. 

Dirigibles would of been practical during the 1900s, but in today's world, not so much.

Regarding virus mitigation, it wouldn't help much and would make travel highly impractical. Plus there is studies that virus transmission on modern aircraft is not as risky as people thought.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/odds-catching-c...

• 1 month ago

If airships were a viable form of transportation, don't you think the skies would be full of them?

• JuanB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Do you know how much bigger today's cruise ships are than the passenger areas of an airship?  Yet cruise ships are COVID coffins.  

• Robert
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

So now instead of being in a small cabin for five hours, you want to be in a larger cabin for 30 hours?  I'm thinking not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.