Lv 7
. asked in SportsFootball (American) · 4 weeks ago

The NFL is fining coaches $100,000 dollars for not wear their masks correctly.  Is this amount excessive?

Update:

**wearing

Attachment image

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Money wise, these coaches can make millions, Gruden makes about 10 Million/year, which would work out to about 1% of his salary. So yes, it is expensive and extensive. As I don't think anyone would want to have 1% of their salary taken away for this.      

It is also very arbitrary.  As on the same active sidelines players are not required to wear a mask and on the field they are defiantly not obeying the "social guideline" rules.  Why is a coach not wearing a mask any more dangerous than others?

The real reason they are fining these people is money.  If they can "appear" to be trying to minimize the spread then there won't be as much of a call to cancel the games.  Remember this is a Multi-Billion dollar industry.  

• garry
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

excessive no , just serious about masks .if you dont wear a mask  then you have to pay the fine , its that simple .

• David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There are 16 games in the regular season.  So a coach who never wore a mask might face fines of $1.6 million.  Wouldn't you consider that excessive?

• 4 weeks ago

No, it's probably inadequate.  Well, for the head coaches anyway.  The big time head coaches now make more than $10m per year.  Assistants are in 6 digits and for them the $100k is a BIG number.

But the NFL is signaling it's seriousness about the corona stuff.  They have done an excellent job, FAR FAR better than the other sports at showing that you CAN coexist with this virus.  I wish the rest of the country would learn that lesson.  We shouldn't just shut everything down for 2 years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

No it isn't. Examples of those who don't comply should be made. No sympathy here.

• 4 weeks ago

Andy Reid one fogs, so he can’t wear one, they made a defogger for him, he should be good next week. I’m not sure what the problem of Sean McVay is, he needs to wear one.

• 4 weeks ago

I think the word is "superficial"....

....what good are mask rules for coaches when you have dozens of players huddling together on the sidelines without a mask in sight.... many of whom were literally piled upon one another with players from the other team just moments before...?

...if a Patriot player tests positive, are we really going to blame Belechik for not wearing his mask properly or are we actually going to practice some critical thinking and recognize the vast disconnects in all these COVID-related policies?

wait..... I think I know the answer to that already....

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No it is not. 

The NFL is a business and coaches are employees.   Employees who endanger the health of other employees and who have a negative impact on public relations need to be punished in a way that makes proportional sense.   These are serious offenses.

Any fine is purely voluntary on the part of the employee.  Follow health/safety guidelines set by the employer and there are no fines.

• 4 weeks ago

Nope.  NFL coaches are very highly paid.  Belichick gets $12 million/year; that fine is only 3 days' salary.

@jeff: Kneeling is a VERY respectful act.  Or do you think all those Christians in church are disrespecting Jesus over and over every Sunday?

• 4 weeks ago

If the NFL was smart they would be fining coaches even more than that for allowing their players to disrespect the flag and the national anthem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.