Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 1 month ago

Dental assisting school to nursing school?

I live in MN and I’m licensed and certified in dental assisting I’m thinking about going back for nursing. How much harder is nursing school? Also would I be able to work part time during nursing school or would that be too much? Would my dental assisting background do any help for getting into the nursing program ? If it helps I have a 3.5 GPA at my tech school. Thank you for any help! 

I assume you mean earning a BSN and becoming an RN, right?  Well, yes it is going to be academically more rigorous.  Having a good GPA is always a good thing, but a tech school may not hold much importance when applying to a university. 

It will probably take you at least 3 years, maybe 4, attending school full-time to earn a BSN - it depends how many, if any of your existing credits transfer.  It is very difficult to work while going to nursing school.  Of course, it depends on the program.  Most college/university BSN programs are designed for regular, full-time students who are taking 5 classes and attending 2+ classes or labs every day.  Once a student get into clinical rotations, the student will have to accommodate the hospital setting where they are assigned and do 12-hour shifts.  This makes it very difficult to work.  IF you're lucky, you might find a job that is flexible enough to assign shifts based on your availability, it might work.

The nursing school curriculum is supposed to be intense with a lot of information, studying, and technical nursing tasks to be learned.  A dental assistant program usually has science requirements, which I'm just presuming is a plus if admissions were considering whether the applicant may be able to possibly handle the demands of nursing school.  

You're most likely having to take or retake pre-req classes at the local community college (or four-year college or university), as classes taken at a tech school may *not* necessarily transfer.

One's gpa in pre-req classes and overall GPA may be crucial for admissions to nursing school.  Please talk with the program director of the nursing school(s) of which you're interested for more info.

If you haven't done any "job shadowing" (with prior staff approval), then please consider doing so.  Nursing (and/or social work or counseling) is supposed to have a high burn-out rate.

If or when planning on "job shadowing," please consider a *physical rehabilitation hospital* that treats patients with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), spinal cord injury/paralysis, stroke ("brain attack") - which is a type of brain injury - multiple sclerosis (MS), other neurological disorders, amputated limbs, and/or hip/shoulder/knee replacement or such - a *pediatric hospital or clinic* - a *nursing home or long-term care facility* or such.

Just an fyi that even though ADN (associate degree in nursing) programs may be available, such as through the local community college, it's my understanding that most hospitals or medical centers either prefer or require RNs with at least a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing).  Such hospital departments that may prefer or require RNs with a BSN include the emergency department (ED), labor & delivery (L&D) nursing, pediatric nursing, and/or psychiatric nursing.

Please check with the individual nursing school as to their pre-req courses and requirements as they usually vary depending upon the nursing school program.

You're most likely aware, though nursing students will need to get a passing score for the "student clinicals" while having an actual patient caseload under the supervision of a clinical nurse supervisor.  Other nursing students may be doing their "student clinicals" at the same health care facility, too, which may be even more competitive.

The nursing student may need to obtain BLS (basic life support) CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) certification, such as though the American Heart Association (AHA), especially before "student clinicals" were to begin.

Even if first aid certification isn't required, it's still a good idea to obtain that as well.

In addition, even though "medical terminology" may *not* be a pre-req class, it's still generally recommended for nursing, allied health, and medical students.  It may help with reading patients' charts and overall basic knowledge.

Not sure it's much harder. Just takes longer.