Why do some people get angry/upset when the most popular version of a song is not the original one?

Lots of cover songs I can think of on YouTube, I read comments like “it’s just a cover,” or people being snappy about how “it’s not the original” or “the original artist doesn’t get enough credit,” blah blah blah. 

Let’s take Naked Eyes’ version of “Always Something There to Remind Me” - it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to say that this is the version of that song that comes to everyone’s mind. Even though it is not the original, and is nearly 20 years newer than the original.

Now, let’s take Jimmy Cliff’s version of “I Can See Clearly Now” on the other hand, that’s one I can uNderstand. As long as I recall, that was the only version of the song I knew, until one day when I heard Johnny Nash’s original on an oldies station. And I was like, “This blows Jimmy Cliff away!” There’s an original artist who I truly do believe is underrated and doesn’t get enough credit.

yes even Elvis recorded covers and made the songs even more popular than the originals.

• garry

maybe the liked the original singer , and hate people copying the original because of the easy money , or in other words write you own song instead of copying others .

• Zapata

There is a popular assumption amongst music snobs that an original is always the best possible version. 

To be fair - that is often true, but not in every single case. 

I didn't know some people got angry, but if they did they must be stupid

IDK, Joe Cocker's rendition defined Woodstock with A Little Help From My Friends. We all knew it was a Beatles song but Cocker owned it. Our generation didn't get angry over music. The only  thing I get angry at are people who think their liked songs are the original. So many thought this one covered by many many other artists attributed it to the wrong artist and in this case no one ever came close to the original. Stay with Me. Miss Lorraine Ellison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TOaUxgkLSg

Youtube thumbnail

• Nick

Personally, I just want people to be familiar with the original. I'm sure any artist worth their salt who chooses to perform a cover song wants that too.

Music is art. Changing someone else's art just isn't right. That's like someone repainting the Mona Lisa and saying this is the way I think it should have been done. 

Musical taste is personal. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Here are some covers that I think are better than the original with the original artist in parenthesis

Nilsson - Without You (Badfinger)

Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou (Roy Orbison)

Rod Stewart - Country Comfort (Elton John)

Talking Heads - Take Me to the River (Al Green)

Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)

Derek and the Dominos - Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)

Sting - Shadows in the Rain (Police)

Spooky - Atlanta Rhythm Section (Classic IV)

• Mike W

People get angry about lots of things, this is just one of them.  Enjoy the version you like, and leave others to do the same.  If the song wasn't any good, no one would have bothered with making a cover version. 

"Always Something There to Remind Me" will always be a Dionne Warwick song to me. And she wasn't the one who did it first.