Anonymous

Is it bad to attend college without knowing your major?

I have NO idea what career I want or what I want to major in. Absolutely no idea at all, and I'm in my last year of high school. I need to apply for colleges, but I don't know what to major in. What should I do?

no, many people change their major five times.

You don't select a major until the end of your sophomore year.  During the first two years, you take courses to fulfill general education requirements.

Many parents agonize over their recent graduate’sindecisions about declaring a college major. They feeling their children should enter higher education with a career pathway in mind.While there are many education experts who support that position, there is an equal voice from the other side of the debate team.

• Lili

Not at all.  In fact, admissions officers don't take claims about what students plan to major in very seriously, because a vast number of them change their minds.  I knew people at Yale who changed their majors 3 times.

I did not end up majoring in the subject I put on my college applications.  You don't have to put ANYTHING. You can say you are "undecided," which is fine.

I'm a college professor now.  Believe me, you do not have to decide at the age of 17 or 18 what your career is going to be.  I didn't go to graduate school to prepare for MY career until I was 25.

didn't you ever throw a stone at a tree full of ripe mangoes?

It isn't bad; it's normal.  A lot is going to happen between now and March of your sophomore year in college when you need to declare your major.  The next 12-18 months are a great time to start thinking about what subjects you enjoy, which ones you are good at, and what types of jobs you either think would be interesting -- or at least you don't hate. 

For many students, freshman year is a great opportunity to take classes in subjects that aren't offered in high school and to research the job opportunities associated with  certain majors.  

There is plenty of time to talk to friends, family, and guidance counselors about your interests and start understanding the academics needed to follow different career paths. 

You do not need to declare your major right away. But you should have some idea of your strengths & weaknesses, interests, talents, personality & character traits - the things that will affect what suits you & what you can succeed & be happy in. Take a variety of courses! Sciences, math, history, English, & more so you can explore more fields, expose yourself to options high school kids just don't know about, think of.

• Expat

No, it's not a problem to begin university before choosing a major. Most universities in the US are the same and the first 2 years' of course work are really the same across all majors. If you can at least decide if you think you want to complete a Bachelor's of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor's of Science (BS) that will really help because the freshmen courses are a bit different. Usually in your 2nd year you apply for the college within your university (example: the College of Arts and Sciences at Louisiana State University, or the College of Design at Louisiana State University)

• John

If you have "absolutely no idea" what kind of a career you want, taking a gap year to think things over is a good idea.  If you don't know the exact career you want, but are sure it would be a career which needed a college degree, you should start college.  Your first 2 years would be mostly general education courses, so you would have time to decide on a major.

• fcas80

It is fine to declare yourself Undecided.   No 18 year old can forecast the next 50 years of their life.