Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 4 weeks ago

How do I tell my dad I need pads...?

Me and my mom don’t get along and hardly talk and I’m closer to my dad. I go shopping with him but it’s still embarrassing to ask... In the past I’ve bought my own either alone or with a friend but that’s not an option right now.

• Rick B
    Favorite Answer

As a dad, I can tell you there is absolutely nothing embarrassing about this. It is a simple fact of nature. There is no reason at all for this to be embarrassing. Simply tell your dad that you need to buy some feminine products and ask him to meet you at the cash register in a few minutes while you go and pick them out.

Your dad is a grown man, which means by now he should have a good idea of what a period is and how to deal with them. Don't be embarrassed to say you need sanitary products. If it makes it easier just ask him for money and if he asks what for just say for women things. 

Source(s): I have a mid teenage daughter who lives with her dad, and in the past he has gone to buy the necessary women's products when I was too ill to go get them myself.

Write him a note explaining the situation and and ask for how much u will need a month to pay for them

I just straight up ask for them and tell them you need "always" overnight, they are purple, and I would look up online what you need during the day. I just go somewhere private or in the car, and straight up ask for them.

Source(s): My life experience as a woman/girl, my entire life. lol :) :D

"Dad I need manhole covers for my monthly curse"

I recommend just telling him you need something and you'll be right back grab what you need and put them in the shopping cart I understand it is very embarrassing the first couple times but you don't have to tell him once he see's  them he will understand it....

You are making this into a bigger deal than is necessary.  You just hand your Dad a piece of paper with the name of the product you need on it.  Problem solved.  No embarrassment, no discussion needed. 

I think parents are our best friends so you should tell your mother or dad directly about the appropriate pad.

All good suggestions from other posters.

Other suggestions include just adding them to the shopping list, sending him a text, or when shopping just say 'I need some things from this aisle'  wnen shopping.

You are the only one embarassed

Your dad knows about these things. He knows how a female body works. That is how you ended up here.

• JimTom

just straight up ask him. Say it fast and over confidently almost like you are joking. "Dad!, i need some pads, can you get some for me please thankyou!? And either throw them in the cart or if hes going shopping alone, just shout it out. it will be over in half a second. Its less embarrassing feeling if youre almost sarcastic with the way you ask. After the first couple of times you wont even care about asking him anymore, he would probably start asking you if you need any from then on.   : )