How many hours can a driver drive non-stop?

Favorite Answer

It depends on his stamina or strength 

I once drove 24 hours straight. I logged roughly 1,450 miles during that stretch of time. That's an average of 60 miles an hour. And it was all Interstate Highway miles.

I only stopped every 350 miles (or so) to get gas, coffee...and pee like a racehorse!

Once I did all three of those things...it was right back onto the highway! I did not sit around in a parking lot somewhere....I just kept driving!By the time I pulled over for good...I was exhausted! My vision was blurry. I got out of the car...and I couldn't even stand up straight.....I remember walking into the motel lobby looking and feeling like a 90 year old man....I proceeded to sleep for the next 18 hours! And I mean "sleep"! I slept like a log! I do not recommend this sort of thing. It's highly dangerous!I recall vividly there were times during the last few hours of that trip that I was, at times, beginning to fall asleep with my eyes wide open! And I recall there were times/moments were my car was weaving back and forth (while traveling in my lane)....and it was noticeable enough (I'm sure) that it was nothing short of a miracle that I wasn't spotted by a highway patrolman (or sherriff's deputy) and pulled over and written up for "impaired driving"....I only did that sort of thing once....just once. And I'll never do it again.It's not a joke....I coulda killed myself...and/or someone else.

Many truckers used to tale amphetamines and make about 24 hours,

I guess I can do  about 400 miles or about  6 hours in the cage.  It  Can go about 500 on a tank but I wont press it  .Has cruise control, too.

About 140 on the Harley, or approx  3-4  hours; depending.  That  is just about time to fill tank, anyway. 30 minutes later; I can do another 140.

• fuzzy

Have driven 26 hours straight DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. By the end I was hallucinating. Different people have different limits, I've known truck drivers go well over 30 hours without a break except for toilet & hamburgers (in the days before log books)

Until you run out of gas and then you will have no choice but to stop. 

• CB

Private individuals in the USA can drive as much as they want, as many hours as they want there are no laws preventing or checking drive time or distances.

• Scott

I once drove a bit more than 24 hours straight for particular reasons I won’t go into. But I did have to stop for gas and to urinate.  This amount of driving is certainly not safe or recommended. But I was much younger back then, and I didn’t have many other choices.

Professional truck drivers have legal limits.

I can drive as far as I can until my bladder is full or the gas tank is empty.  Maybe 400 miles.

• Vivian

Drivers (in California) are allowed up to 12 driving hours and 16 on duty hours.