How many hours can a driver drive non-stop?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on his stamina or strength 

• 1 month ago

I once drove 24 hours straight. I logged roughly 1,450 miles during that stretch of time. That's an average of 60 miles an hour. And it was all Interstate Highway miles.

I only stopped every 350 miles (or so) to get gas, coffee...and pee like a racehorse!

Once I did all three of those things...it was right back onto the highway! I did not sit around in a parking lot somewhere....I just kept driving!By the time I pulled over for good...I was exhausted! My vision was blurry. I got out of the car...and I couldn't even stand up straight.....I remember walking into the motel lobby looking and feeling like a 90 year old man....I proceeded to sleep for the next 18 hours! And I mean "sleep"! I slept like a log! I do not recommend this sort of thing. It's highly dangerous!I recall vividly there were times during the last few hours of that trip that I was, at times, beginning to fall asleep with my eyes wide open! And I recall there were times/moments were my car was weaving back and forth (while traveling in my lane)....and it was noticeable enough (I'm sure) that it was nothing short of a miracle that I wasn't spotted by a highway patrolman (or sherriff's deputy) and pulled over and written up for "impaired driving"....I only did that sort of thing once....just once. And I'll never do it again.It's not a joke....I coulda killed myself...and/or someone else.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Many truckers used to tale amphetamines and make about 24 hours,

I guess I can do  about 400 miles or about  6 hours in the cage.  It  Can go about 500 on a tank but I wont press it  .Has cruise control, too.

About 140 on the Harley, or approx  3-4  hours; depending.  That  is just about time to fill tank, anyway. 30 minutes later; I can do another 140.

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Have driven 26 hours straight DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. By the end I was hallucinating. Different people have different limits, I've known truck drivers go well over 30 hours without a break except for toilet & hamburgers (in the days before log books)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Until you run out of gas and then you will have no choice but to stop. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Private individuals in the USA can drive as much as they want, as many hours as they want there are no laws preventing or checking drive time or distances.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I once drove a bit more than 24 hours straight for particular reasons I won’t go into. But I did have to stop for gas and to urinate.  This amount of driving is certainly not safe or recommended. But I was much younger back then, and I didn’t have many other choices.

• 1 month ago

Professional truck drivers have legal limits.

I can drive as far as I can until my bladder is full or the gas tank is empty.  Maybe 400 miles.

• Vivian
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Drivers (in California) are allowed up to 12 driving hours and 16 on duty hours.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.