Sold my Car to a dealership, what is the process of getting paid?

So i sold my car to a dealership off of Kelly Blue Book instant cash offer in California. I sold it for 36k but i still owed 14K on the loan. The dealer paid off the loan and said they cant pay me the difference until they receive the title from the DMV. They first said the process takes 2 weeks, then was told a month, then i read online and it says 6 weeks. The loan was paid off last week and Its been 4 weeks now since I sold them the car. Ive never sold a car to a dealership and want to know if this process sounds correct? How long would it take for them to receive the title? I found out that the car was already sold off to a different dealer, can they do this without the title? Should I be worried of not being paid or just wait patiently? 

The other dealer is more financially stable and able to hold onto cars longer(a holding yard) so it is probably there. They are waiting for the paperwork.  It has been 4 weeks and Online it says 6 weeks so you got another 2 weeks to wait.  That is how it normally goes.  I would not be worried.  Maybe with this Covid19 thing it might take another week or 2 because staff is sick.  You got to wait. Go smoke some drugs and drink some cheap wine.  At least the bank is not on your tail.

• L

LISTEN to what they are saying!!!!!!!!!!  They need the TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are just screwing you around. 

If I sold my car to a dealership, I'd drop off the car and the title.  At that time they'd write a check to the lending company and a check to me.  That's how it would transpire. 

If the dealer paid the lender, they should have paid you too!

This sounds very much like BS to me. Call the title clerk. Should not take more than 2-3 weeks. But, we have covid and CA has things shut down because they are radical liberals.

Get over your social anxiety and CALL THE DEALERSHIP AND ASK. Thats what a logical and intelligent person would do. If they are unhelpful, have a lawyer draft a letter to them threatening legal action.

This is normal. Depending on the lender and the disruptions caused by the pandemic, it might take them longer than normal to process the loan payoff and send the title. You should contact your lender, not the dealer, because it's the lender who is controlling this process.

I think you are a victim of a scam.  Contact the District Attorney in the county where the dealer is located.  See if the dealer's activity falls to the level of theft.  They never needed a title to pay you what they owe you.  If the DA refuses, sue the dealer for fraud and ask for triple damages.

• Scott

So you know the bank won't release the title until your loan is paid, and the payment was sent a week ago. You also know it can take up to 6 weeks for the dealer to receive the title. It's been a week. What's the hurry? You know what the expectation is.