Anonymous

i just figured out im jewish, can i engage in the culture?

my mom recently told me im jewish(i forgot how it came up) because of my dads side of my family, she says she told me before but i literally have no memory of that, my ancestry thing basically says im a 3 way split between mexican, european and jewish, while i feel totally comfortable engaging in mexican culture, i dont know if its ok for me to engage in jewish culture as well? my dad doesnt talk about it at all, but its the biggest percentage on my chart, im also technically catholic but i dont go to church and stuff. thoughts??????????????

i do know about the mom thing with being jewish but my mom is like 3 percent jewish.....my dad is probably like 50 or 60 percent, im talking purely from a genetic/ethnicity standpoint here, and whether or not that would allow me to embrace some of the culture(like i do with mexican culture) or if it would been seen as offensive in some way. as for what part of europe i would have to look

half of you are saying no and half are saying yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so im going on quora this sucks 

ok there were already questions like this on quora so yea idk im like 5 ill figure it out later 

Favorite Answer

Sure, you can now say Oi Guey and Oy Vey.

Why would you want to lower your value?

Judaism is a  religion  i also have  jewish ancestors  but my religion is not  jewish nor is it the  religion  of   distant  relatives of mine  who descend from the same people

Being part jewish doesn't necessarily make you jewish.

• Zirp

Nobody is stopping you from going to a synagogue, eating kosher or getting circumcised.

Percentages have no meaning in genetics or ethnicity

I may be wrong, but I thought your Mum had to be Jewish for you to be also, unless you convert?  Also, when you say European - which Country specifically because we are all very different

• A.J.

Although historically "Jewish" is passed from mother to children as we learned about genetics that can get fuzzy. Judaism is a religion, but there are enough ethnic traits to define Jewish as an ethnicity. There is music, food and cooking, work ethic, belief in education, calculated business risk-taking and putting off small rewards for future larger ones. It is also a Jewish ethnicity to help other Jewish and also to help society by contributing to build hospitals, libraries, public television, universities.  A study indicated Jewish ethnic generally has strong communication skills and find Jewish people disproportionate as authors, politicians and political consultants, in many media fields. An ethnicity is about feeling as part of a group and acceptance by that group. A person can be multiple ethnicity.

You can look up Jewish cooking and dance and music. The Star of David is a symbol as is a Chai in jewelry (not the tea and pronounced differently). Judaism is a preceding religion of both Christianity and Islam and all three worship the same God of Abraham. One Christian actor and singer Pat Boone wore both a cross and Star of David and showed them on a talk show saying that the Old Testament is part of Christianity as well. You can separate the religion from the ethnicity. You can look into Jewish ethnicity.

Suppose your parents said "I will give you $10 now, or $20 in exactly three months". Most people would take the $10 as a "Bird in hand" expression and generally spend it right away. Jewish ethnic evaluates "Can I buy supplies to wash cars and earn $30, or buy and sell on eBay, or start a Lemonade business?". If there is no intent to grow the $10 into $30 or more, the answer is "I will wait for the $20. Thank you.". And another thought of Jewish people is to give part of the $20 to people that need it more. This is something Jewish, but also known in other ethnicities. It isn't part of the religion. It is an ethnic trait. Yes, you can engage in the culture, and also in thinking and learning about Jewish ethnic traits, you may find it is part of you already. Do you study hard at school and work hard at getting a job done right? Do you respect your parents and if you knew or know them your grandparents? Do you feel a need to help those less fortunate? Do you want instant rewards or think in longer time periods for rewards? It is not that others cannot have these same characteristics, but the sum of all together is part of a Jewish ethnicity.       

• IOM

You're not Jewish if your MOTHER isn't Jewish. That's it. Si te identificas como Mexicano, pues eso, sigue así. 🇲🇽 Best wishes. Saludos. 🙂 

Start by educating yourself in the people and the culture. That is the most reasonable way to engage it at this point. 

Jewish people don't a culture