Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

What would you do if you lost $50,000 in the stock market overnight?

I "lost" more than that back in March, I upshifted the riskiness of my 401K, deployed the cash in all my accounts, and even bought a few things on margin that were next on my plan to pick up and add to my portfolio.   

cry..................................

Depends how much my initial investment was.

If 50k all i had, then i'll probably just lie down and won't move untill the freeze passes... which I don't ever see investing money like that. 

But if my initial investment was a million, then the 50k loss seems like a normal thing.

• Amy

Be very confused because the market is closed overnight.

• Bill

Shrug off the decrease.  Haven't actually lost anything unless I sell below my purchase price, and I treat decreases in the stock market as buying opportunities  (stocks are now on sale).

Any of us who invest have lost money at times. It's part of the risk. Currently, the market is down which means there are many opportunities.

• kswck2

Wait till the market bottoms out, reinvest and make it all back again. 

Keep on keepin' on.  I lost about that much ($40,000) overnight.  I invested about $60k into a small medical company.  It dropped a little, then more, and it was worth $40k.  Then it declared bankruptcy and the stock was basically worthless.

Didn't sleep great that night, but it's the risk you take.  I've had similar investments go 10x so you take the bad with the good.

Hell I've lost four times that amount in one day on more than one day.  The good news is that it regains later on.  So in fact my holdings are about as high as they've ever been since I retired from the nine to five 19 years ago.

Grow up kid.............