GJ asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why does my wrist hurt after a cat scratch and bite?

I volunteer at a cat shelter once a week and this lovely cat is very playful. Today he got me good with a few bites and scratches. I had immediate pain in my wrist and it swelled. I washed it with soap and water and it was just before heading home for the day. I got the scratches and bite around 10:30, perhaps even closer to 11, but it's 5pm now and my wrist still hurts to move.

I only attached one photo because that's all I can attach.

Thank you guys so much in advance

Update: thank you guys for the help ❤️ and I did bleed a little bit from a couple but I'm not sure if it was from a bite or a scratch.

I'll make sure to keep an eye on it.

1 week ago

Don't go into a UFO to be "healed" by evil demons. Unforgivablegreen666 is given by isotope rays on wrist or forehead when people stretch hands to receive smallplasticgreycard withnonameonit (World Passport). Hide with OrthodoxChristians to escape 666; leave all electronics behind so that antichrist's minions can't track you; burn documents because they're from Satan. Police will microchip and isotope ray people on highways.If the last descendant rejects mark of the beast, then his/her ancestors go to heaven.Food stores will isotoperay people too. Antichrist will also release prisoners/insane asylum people to mark people. Reject 666 at all cost because it leads to permanent hell. Forgive me.

Source(s): Project Pogo was to gather info who's against Israel (like 12 millions of Americans). Alex Jones = Zionist shill. He never blames Israel for anything 'cause he married Jewish woman. If you watched his (or similar like Anonymous, Adam Green, etc.) videos, then you're on the list to be exterminated during Project Zyphr. During winter, electricity will be turned off and dissidents will be gathered into underground camps. The rest will be micro-chipped (Book of Revelation, Chapters 13-14).
  • Ocimom

If you have swelling then you have infection.  You really should see a doctor.  Cat bites are worse then a dog bite because they close quickly and infection can set in.

It sounds to me like you've gotten an infection in the bite, it's an allergic reaction, or possibly it's resulted in nerve damage of some kind.

Remember, a cat bite wound is much more likely to get severely infected than a dog bite, since cats have needle like teeth, meaning that pathogens are carried far further into the wound, and since it bleeds less as a result, the bite injury isn't 'flushed out' with blood nearly as much as a dog bite is. It's for that reason specifically that I would strongly recommend that you get the bite looked at by a doctor.

I know of this because a similar situation happened to my mum when I was little. A female cat who we had at the time (her name was Tabitha) was sitting on the table in the hall at the time, and our dog was standing under the table and began barking at her, and she hissed in retaliation. My mum separated the two and got the dog to go into the front room, then picked the cat up, to go to put her into her basket, and the cat bit her in response, most likely thinking that it was the dog. My mum's hand swelled up so much that it looked like she was wearing an inflated rubber glove, and she got given very strong antibiotics from our GP at the time to treat it.

Hope this helps.

It could simply be an allergy to the cat bites or more severely, an infection with how dirty cat mouths are. I know when I first got a cat I was very allergic to them and whenever I would get bit/scratched my hands would swell up in pretty much the same way. After I had the cat for a while and my allergies got better I didn't have the issue anymore. If you aren't allergic to cats though I'd definitely keep an eye on it for sure to be careful of infections. 

If you get scratched again, you'll want to wash it as soon as possible. Cat scratches can get pretty irritated, and washing it will help it heal sooner and not hurt as much. And some people are more sensitive to cat scratches, so you might be slightly allergic. It should be nothing to worry about though, most likely it will heal in a few days.

• reme_1

See a doctor. Cat scratches can be bad!

• Casey

If you got bit you need to go to the ER, Cat bites can become dangerously infected very fast. Infection bad enough to hospitalize you can set in within a few hours. espeshally bites in the joint. 

Source(s): Vet tech
  • Expat

It looks okay. Put some antibiotic cream on them. Cat scratch fever, if you were to have caught it won’t appear for at least a few days to more than a week after the bite or scratch and generally begins with a blister near the wound. If that happens, do not delay seeking professional medical attention because it’s a serious problem. But yours looks okay. I got scratched by a cat that attacked my dog a few days ago and one scratch really burned for a full day afterwards but it’s fine now. 

• Raven

Did you bleed at all? Cat claw scratches can result in cat scratch fever. I've had that. A cat bite, if it breaks the skin, can be a very serious business. You might have to get antibiotics from your doctor. You may want to ask him/her about it. Cat bites have sent people to the hospital. Be very careful!