Anonymous

I have a serious college grade question?

I started a college math course 3 weeks ago. It is an online class. The only grades in this class are 4 exams and all of them are available when the course started. It is on Webassign. I already took all four of the exams and my final grade is 94.825. Take the grades of all four tests, add them up, and divide by four. 

I want a solid A in the course and not an A-.

In the syllabus, it states that:

A=95-100

A-=90-94

The instructor wrote on the syllabus:

Final grades will be computed via the averaging the grades on the four tests. After rounding, a letter grade will be assigned as follows.

Does this mean that he will round up my 94.825 to a 95?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

If you can't figure this out - then math is not for you.  What does 'rounding' mean?????

• 3 weeks ago

It sounds like he rounds grades and you can expect your A- to become an A.  You are fortunate.  I do not round grades, in my class, you earn what you earned.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

We don't know this instructor and can't read his mind.  You need to ask him.

I'm a professor, though, and my procedure would be to round up the average so you'd get an A.

• MS
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There is no guarantee of that, so you should definitely check with the instructor.  Since the syllabus mentions rounding, I think it's safe to assume that a 94.825 would be rounded to a 95.  But again, no guarantee.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I would assume a 94.8 would round up, But I would not assume that at all. It clearly states you need a 95 for an A. Which you do not have.  

You want facts not assumptions. Ask your professor for the facts, 

• 4 weeks ago

I would think so but I would ask your professor for clarification

• John
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

You would have to ask the professor.  In his freshmen year, my grandson had 2 courses in which he scored over 89.5.  The professors would not round up, and he received Bs in each class.  

• 4 weeks ago

Only the teacher can tell you what they meant by that sentence.  Normally, anything above a .5 would be rounded up.

• DON W
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That is the way I understand it: 94.825 should round up to 95.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.