Anonymous

I have a serious college grade question?

I started a college math course 3 weeks ago. It is an online class. The only grades in this class are 4 exams and all of them are available when the course started. It is on Webassign. I already took all four of the exams and my final grade is 94.825. Take the grades of all four tests, add them up, and divide by four. 

I want a solid A in the course and not an A-.

In the syllabus, it states that:

A=95-100

A-=90-94

The instructor wrote on the syllabus:

Final grades will be computed via the averaging the grades on the four tests. After rounding, a letter grade will be assigned as follows.

Does this mean that he will round up my 94.825 to a 95?

• L

If you can't figure this out - then math is not for you.  What does 'rounding' mean?????

It sounds like he rounds grades and you can expect your A- to become an A.  You are fortunate.  I do not round grades, in my class, you earn what you earned.

• Lili

We don't know this instructor and can't read his mind.  You need to ask him.

I'm a professor, though, and my procedure would be to round up the average so you'd get an A.

• MS

There is no guarantee of that, so you should definitely check with the instructor.  Since the syllabus mentions rounding, I think it's safe to assume that a 94.825 would be rounded to a 95.  But again, no guarantee.

• drip

I would assume a 94.8 would round up, But I would not assume that at all. It clearly states you need a 95 for an A. Which you do not have.  

You want facts not assumptions. Ask your professor for the facts, 

I would think so but I would ask your professor for clarification

• John

You would have to ask the professor.  In his freshmen year, my grandson had 2 courses in which he scored over 89.5.  The professors would not round up, and he received Bs in each class.  

Only the teacher can tell you what they meant by that sentence.  Normally, anything above a .5 would be rounded up.

• DON W

That is the way I understand it: 94.825 should round up to 95.