I've never seen a piano in a Thrift Shop before! Has anyone ever seen one and for a reasonable price?

Favorite Answer

Often you can pick up a piano free or nearly free on craigslist.  Used pianos, unless they're really good or somehow famous, have very little value because they are difficult to move, and likely need to be tuned and/or fixed after moving.

If you mean an electronic  piano or keyboard, those show up in thrift stores occasionally, but also on craigslist.

Try craigslist or https://pianoadoption.com/ .

I have, but normally they are in such poor condition that they seem like a lot of work to fix up. 

• JASON

I'm guessing you're in America by the way you say thrift store. I saw a nice wooden upright one in a charity shop a few years back at a very reasonable price.

some people may have an old one they want to get rid of. Although you would probably have to have it tuned etc. Look on 2nd hand websites etc

• ?

Thrift stores won't take pianos because they are a pain to move.

If you are looking for a cheap piano, try the craigslist free listings.  In my area there were probably half a dozen, or even more, free pianos last week.  I remember a couple of beautiful antique ones, a grand piano that was in great shape and an organ.  

Moving your thrift piano is a big deal.  If you plan to actually play it you may want to get a piano move/tuner involved.

• J M

No. You can find them for free if you are willing to move them.

People don't take pianos to thrift stores because they cost money to move.

There are free or very cheap pianos all over the place.  Try Craigslist.   Plan on paying to have it moved and tuned.  Even a "free" piano will cost you about $500 even if it doesn't need any repairs. 

If a piano is cheap, it's cheap for a reason.

Neglect (once tuning is "lost", it's rarely reliable again)

Atmospheric damage (damp, dryness, temperature/humidity variation)

Even the ones on ebay and facebook are there because no reputable shop will take them in, they are basically scrap value. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two before, but those are crappy and not worth it usually.

Your best bet it to look at like craigslist or offer up or facebook market, any app like that where people sell their unwanted goods.