Should I even give engineering a try?

I'm a sophomore in college right now, and every time I think of my self having an engineering job, I keep having second thoughts. I keep questioning if I would be happy or not having an engineering degree. 

I don't even know what engineering field I want

My engineering classes have not started because I'm still getting prerequisite courses out of the way

I don't feel any real passion for engineering as of now. 

I find myself not caring too much about how things work. 

Should I give engineering a try? Or would it be a waste of time? 

Favorite Answer

Go to a Library, Take the Vocational Aptitude Test. It will show you which fields are your strongest. These fields are where your major interests lie and where you will be the happiest working as a career. This is where you will bake the most contribution to a field.

This Test is Free if you take it at a library.

It is the same test as the ASVAB which you can also do online or in a recruiters office for free also, with no obligation. These Tests will take about 2 hours and be probably the best investment of your time in your whole life.

Many life decisions are based on your career field.

I did this test in HS and it made an unimaginable difference for me in life.

• ?

(1) I don't feel any real passion for engineering as of now.

(2) I find myself not caring too much about how things work.

I am a retired mechanical engineer. Given statement (1) AND statement (2), I would not advise you to go into engineering.

You started in that direction for a reason so why not stay on that course until you get exposed to some of the real courses in engineering. Even if you get an engineering degree you don't have to work as a engineer. I have known engineers that have chosen to do things as varied as running a large farm, owning a chain of shoe stores, going into real estate, working in banking, becoming a lawyer and even going on to become doctors.