Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Help! Am I losing weight TOO FAST?

It's ironic, because I want to lose weight, but I didn't expect it to come off this quick!

On Monday (9/21), I weighed 130.6 lbs in the morning. Now, on Thursday, (9/24), I weighed in at 126.6 lbs this morning, also before eating breakfast. I've been going to bed feeling slightly hungry. During the day I drink tons of water and consume probably around 1500 calories, maybe 100-200 more. I also run ~5 miles every day and do some walking. I'm also on my period right now. I'd like to get down to 120. I guess my weight loss is not that noticeable right, just barely. I've cut out desserts and snacks and am eating healthy. Low sugar, too. Is this weight loss unhealthy? It will probably slow down right?

I'm on the shorter side and female.

Favorite Answer

Its very common to lose a significant amount of weight when beginning to diet; however, that is water weight and would come right back if you returned to eating normally.

You also don't seem to realize that weight always fluctuates slightly from day to day, depending on hormonal changes, fluid retention, etc.  Trust me, it won't keep going down at that rate. 

I wouldn't worry at this point.  It's normal for your weight to fluctuate a couple of pounds due to water retention (or release of retained water) ad well as waste in your GI track.  You may find that you back up to 128 on Saturday.  It isn't uncommon for people to drop some water weight when they first start a Lowe-carb/no-sugar eating plan.

Just keep at it and see where you are in a week.  If you are hungry, add some more vegetables to your meals or snacks.  1500-1700 calories should be plenty if you are eating nutrient-dense foods and staying away from "empty" carbs. 

Weighing yourself every single day is just asking for confusion. I can take my weight in the a.m. and p.m. on the same day and get wildly diverse numbers. Even raising my arms above my head changes the number on the scale. 

I wouldn't worry about what a scale says. 

• .

Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs from day to day, due to water weight changes. You didn't mysteriously drop 4 lbs of fat in 4 days BUT it's not uncommon to change eating/exercise habits in order to drop some weight and see little to no change for weeks, then suddenly see a drop of a few pounds in your weight. 

When we go on a weight loss plan we lose fluid/water weight before the fat loss begins and it can take up to two weeks for fat loss to start, depending upon the individual.

Body weight fluctuates from day to day by several pounds, even more if you're quite large. It's mostly a matter of how hydrated you are and what's in your intestinal tract.

You're taking in enough calories to be healthy, but as active as you are, rapid loss is likely.

As a grizzled veteran of Weight Watchers, let me caution you that losing more than 2.5 pounds a week suggests you're losing muscle mass, and that's bad. Muscle uses calories just by existing, so you need it to maintain your new, lower weight. If you find your loss continues at this rate, up the caloric intake with more healthy foods.

But for now, don't worry about daily fluctuations. WW recommends weighing yourself no more than twice a week, same time of day, same clothes more or less.

nope this is good, don't worry