Reason for not starting a motorcycle?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Loose spark plug wire is not a new thing for motorcycle riders; it can occur due to the jerks.Just unplug and re-plug the connectors and try to start the motorcycle again. Engine cut off switch. It is one of the most common things we forget to check before getting annoyed with the starting problem.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

My reason for not starting my motorcycle?  I won't be riding it.  

• 4 weeks ago

No spark, no fuel, no air?

Engine kill switch is in the "off" position instead of "run"?

I had a motorcycle where the kickstand had to be up and the clutch had to be pulled.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Because I don't got one no more? Works for me. Or, it is raining and I don't have to go anywhere? Also works.

Perhaps you worded the question wrong?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

What fuzzy said, with best answer

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Because you dont want to go for a ride today.

If you mean "Reason for a motor cycle not starting", a completely different question, lots of good answers given already

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Could be a lotta things. Is she a New bike or old? Just bought used? Did she Ever start?

Details  matter  or its a  wild goose chase, Just shotgunning, replacing parts can get $$ very fast. And might not solve it.

Newer bikes have codes you can read. #1  "no start" is dead battery. 2# is out of gas or contaminated gas, clogged filter. #3 is bad or fouled plugs. #4 is clutch  lever/shifter/ side stand  in incorrect staring positions (Metrics). #5 is kill switch  in incorrect position. An old untried bike might have low compression, jumped timing, bent pushrods etc etc, even slipping clutch.

Go from there. See if gas actually Flows our of tank/petcock, fills carb bowls (remove scew on bottom)  or you Hear fuel pump.check choke is actually closin or opening  enrichment valve(s)--there is a Cable, it can get loose/break.

Is headlamp  Bright? Stay bright on cranking? No? Charge battery.

Pull a plug, put back in wire touch to head. Crank,. Spark? No? Check fuses, connections first. Last is new plug(s)

Ive seen broken/replaced fuel gauge senders that indicated 1/4 tank when actually Empty. Open cap and Look...

• adam
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

do you mean reasons a mototorcycle wont start? Dead battery. Out of gas. Bad fuel pump. Key fob battery is dead. Not enough compression. Kickstand switch is bad. clutch lever safety switch is bad. Switches good motorcycle is in gear. Motor is seized. Starter relay no good. Solenoid no good. Starter motor no good. Blown main fuse. 

• 4 weeks ago

Dead battery, corroded or loose connections, shorted or open harness, worn starter motor brushes, corroded or dirty contacts in the starter button or key switch, corroded relay contacts, open relay coil, corroded or worn starter solenoid contacts, open starter solenoid coil, mechanical wear or dirt or lack of lubrication in the starter bearings or solenoid shaft, broken solenoid shaft spring, worn or broken teeth in the Bendix drive or flywheel, shorted or open or corroded or dirty interlock switches including the neutral switch on the transmission, clutch switch on the handlebar, and sidestand switch, seized transmission, seized engine, bad ignition coil, contaminated fuel, clogged fuel line(s), inoperative vacuum fuel shutoff valve(s), clogged fuel filter(s), clogged fuel injectors, low fuel pressure / bad fuel pump, clogged air filter, clogged crankshaft ventilation valve and line(s), inoperative engine control unit (bad cpu, or eproms, input/output chips, or power supply), bad oxygen, air pressure, fuel pressure, or crankshaft position sensor(s), worn rings and valves and camshafts, slipped timing belt or stripped timing gears. Like dude--do you know anything about how your bike works? We've narrowed it down to "It dun b broke."

• CB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

FINE-C - learned in motorcycle class.

Fuel ON

Ignition ON

Neutral Transmission

Engine Kill switch

Choke

Some bikes need the clutch pulled if the kickstand is down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.