Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Help me understand what i have done so wrong for my friend to suddenly stop replying to me?

2 weeks ago i texted a friend asking if she wanted to meet soon. She said of course but i work full time it will have to be a weekend i said that's ok weekends are better anyway and we both seemed excited. She said you can decide what we do i don't mind anything would be good with you so i thought how about next weekend or something if she's free she can come to mine to play videogames then we could go out. So i texted her with my idea to check she's free and see what she thought of it. Her phone is always on but she's not always doing anything on it. However as she isn't a big fan of texting unless she's on her phone she is a pain in the **** to get hold of- even if it's important. It took her about 8 hours to read my text, by the time she did read it was the early hours of the morning, but she never replied. Tried her again the next day, as the planned meeting would have been the day after and i didn't know if she was free or not, but she didn't even open the text. Finally i gave up asking about the next day, realising she's probably not free so instead asked what day she would prefer to meet me when she can. That was never read either. But it was delivered. Now I'm really worried she's blocked my number but i honestly don't know what i have done wrong. She agreed to meet me, all i did was try to arrange something asap, but she didn't even have the decency to let me know if she could that day or not why? We are also friends on facebook and still friends on there wtf 

i dont think you did anything wrong

You said yourself she doesn't like texting.  Stop texting her and block her number.  You need to find better friends.

• G R

Heres a thought, try actually talking to her.  Stop texting and messaging and call her.

There is no way any stranger could tell you the answer to your question. If you want to know why your friend behaves this way, the only person who can tell you is said friend. Ask HER.

This girl honestly doesn't give a flying fûck about you. That doesn't mean she would rather see others over you, just that she's all for herself, only out for what she can get. And clearly, the other night (or week) she had a better offer so yours was sidelined. I am very surprised anyone gives her the time of day or even considers her a friend, I really would use the word friend really loosely here! She's a user. Let's get something straight here, she knew someone had texted but didn't even bother seeing who for 8 hours. It could have been an emergency ffs, this is proof she doesn't care about anyone else but herself. That's clear as day to see. Are you meant to be a mindreader? How can you know for sure when she's using her phone or not? You can't obviously! I think the girl is just lazy and selfish of course, but if she really genuinely is this bad at texting, why haven't you sorted out an alternative way of contact? Or have you tried, but not got anywhere with her? If she is not willing to communicate another way, or try to improve texting for the sake of her friends and family, she should expect to lose people as she doesn't deserve them. She has you as a doormat, it's obvious you will end up forgiving her each and every time she hurts you. I wouldn't. I would get rid of her asap, and be thankful i dodged a bullet. Also, do NOT apologise for "bugging" etc. you had and still have, the right to know things and you did nothing wrong, it was her. She just walks all over you never once considering your feelings, has the time come to set some boundaries? Or even go one step further? Don't you have enough uncertainty right now with this pandemic? You don't need it from her as well. It could be a test, but if so she is clearly extremely unbalanced. She really does need to see you won't stand for her shît, and she needs knocking down a peg or two.

you see for me, this would probably be the end of the line for us. cos if she got waylaid and just forgot to check her messages it's ok and forgiveable, but if it's deliberate and the girl can't even bother to let you know when she can see you, what else is she keeping from you? think about it. do you really need this in your life? she doesn't know the meaning of the word friend. a friend would never leave you questioning things. she probably just cba, which makes her unbelievably selfish, and she has the manners of a pig. it's clear to me she will always put herself first, while you have shown you will put others over yourself. you are too different for this friendship to work, it will never last unless you change. so try turning the tables next time, see how she likes it. 

I'm sorry but she sounds like a terrible friend. If someone texted me to arrange something i would simply let them know whether i could that day or not. Anyone would. I wouldn't dream of leaving my friend in the dark like that. I would hate for someone to do the same to me. And I don't give a **** that she doesn't like texting (which will probably be her excuse btw) it's the principal. It is just plain wrong to do what she did. I would strongly consider confronting her, and if she had no good reason for doing it, i would forget about her and move on. You don't need this uncertainty in your life, and you've done nothing to deserve it. You were being nice and were repaid with nothing.

No offence but your friend is ******* weird! So she doesn't like texting, but would it really kill her to text back something like "hi (your name) that sounds great but I'm not free this weekend. How about next weekend instead? I'll be free then." 

No. It wouldn't. That's what any normal sane person would do and it would have been nice for her to do that and would have saved you double texting to keep arranging for that day. I understand why you kept texting. Because you didn't know if she was free or not because the rude ***** didn't even bother confirming it. You know her excuse when pulled up about this would probably be "Oh i was tired i didn't have the energy" don't fall for this, it's absolute bs. If she had the energy to still be up at stupid o clock in the morning, she definitely had the energy to give you a yes/no answer. She clearly has no manners, and no respect for you whatsoever. All this has done is make you look clingy, which I'm sure you didn't want. Right? If she has left you on delivered and you can see it says delivered she hasn't blocked you, she's just ignoring you. I know you're hoping this will just be a one off, but it definitely won't, she will do this every time she's not free. This friendship will consist of nothing but your uncertainty over her. You don't need it, so i would say, you're better off without her. If she was doing this to me, i would end the friendship straight away. No second chances. But I can see you don't want to lose her friendship. So here is the best advice I can give. Lay off her this week to prove you're not clingy, and try her again the week after. Make it clear you don't know where you stand anymore, something along the lines of "hope you still wanna meet real soon" would be good. If it turns out she's suddenly changed her mind about you that's not your fault, don't blame yourself, it's her. You have put yourself out for the two of you and she has given you nothing back. She really is a shîtty friend.