Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

My tires take 32 psi, when I inserted a pump it read 100 psi, what is wrong? ?

My tires take 32 psi. I have a 12v powered inflator pump. When I turned it on and plugged in the hose to the tire the gauge went way up to 100 psi.

Is this normal? 

Favorite Answer

Use a regular tire gauge when checking your tire pressures. I wouldn't trust a cheap tire inflator pump gauge. For all you know the gauge is reading the line pressure, not the tire pressure.

I bet the air chuck did not press in the pin in the valve stem core enough to let air go in the tire. The gauge is reading the pressure in just the hose.

The shrader valve connector on some of the cheaper pump products uses a plastic stem "poker" which is suppose to depress the valve stem to get air into the tire. Often on the cheaper plastic connectors, they split and do not actually engage the tire valve. So my guess is that you are only pumping air into the pumps little thin hose and not actually into the tire. Please check your pump fitting and make sure it is actually engaging the tire valve.

You should never have inserted it in the butt.

• D50

Teach your thumb to estimate tire pressures by pressing it against tires that are know to be inflated properly. You can easily tell if a tire is inflated far beyond its proper pressure.

• fuzzy

The only type of tyre gauge that is reliable over time is the old pencil type where the plunger is pushed out the end t oshow markings on its side. ALL the rest tested becamr innaccurate after being dropped

• garry

sounds like the gauge is faulty to me , use another gauge .

Those pumps, if a lose connection to the stem of tire's  Schrader valve, WILL show 100-125, the no load full pressure of pump IN that short 1/.4" line. This equates to almost No volume.

Push the business end  Tight on the tire, then throw the lever. It Will show 20, now,  or wherever. It might stop pumping at 34. 

Many here   have No experience with them. I see them returned all the time due  to low volume. Takes half an hour to pump up  some tires. I use a CO2 cartridge  on my motorcycle.

• M.

Something is surely wrong. 

PSI pressure? 

I think the tire would come off the wheel if it was 100 psi.

32 psi = 221 kiloPascals (kPa) 

32 psi = 2.21 bar 

I'm guessing that your pressure gauge was reading 100 kPa, which is around 14.5 psi. 

Yes?? 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

Not normal and the reading is probably wrong.  Use a hand held pressure tester for comparison.