Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

how are you 70 something year olds feeling now in these tough covid-19 times?

did you ever think this would have happened in your lifetime?

this question is for anyone born 1950 or earlier 

• Piero

I'm over 70. I watch the daily "score" for the virus. It's really scary. In MY age group, nearly half of the positive cases require hospitalization. Of those hospitalized, almost half die. The  percentage of us old folks that are infected is disproportionately  high also. Not pleasant statistics.  The outlook isn't really too cheery. Staying home as much as possible, using my masks, and avoiding touching things as much as possible, when I'm out.

Class of 1954

I am at peace with God and the world so I do not worry 

I was born in 1952, so I am close to 70. I never dreamed Covid 19 would happen in my  lifetime. I do not feel good in these tough times.

I had heart surgery so my resistance is down. I am obviously concerned about it.

Actually it has not affected me (born 1946) too much, except that our libraries were closed in Britain, so I have not done my fortnightly library volunteer duty since March (libraries now open again, with restricted hours, but volunteers not required).  I live in a fairly 'open' suburb, so a daily walk for exercise is no problem.  My problem is spending too much time answering questions on Yahoo Answers!

Even in lockdown we could go shopping for essentials, and most supermarkets had 'oldies hours'.  Obviously I wear a mask in shops.  I do feel sorry for those people whose jobs have been affected by restrictions.

Certainly Covid-19 has been the biggest national restriction in my lifetime. I was intending, in April or May, to visit my son who is working in Spain, but possibly I shall not even see him at Christmas time now - he usually visits at Christmas.

In my young days we still had food rationing in the thin times after WW2. And power cuts (outages) from time to time.  But that was not 'lockdown'.  In 1949 we even went on a very harum-scarum tour of France in our ancient motor car.

All you cry babies shut down the nation. Back in my day we didn't think twice about colds.

I was already retired and a homebody, so it's not real different. Still, I did used to enjoy going to some places now and again, and it's not safe now.

• Great.  I can stay at home and do what I like.