Is it safe to let go of the steering wheel when driving at 30 mph? ?

I'm not trolling I just dont drive and want to know. I saw this woman driving a minivan full of kids and the limit is 30 where I am. She let go of the wheel and shook her hands around and then put it back on 10 seconds later. 

• J
    Favorite Answer

It’s safe to let go as long as you’re paying attention. If the road is straight, the car will generally keep going straight if the alignment is correct. I like to drive with my knees a lot to free up my hands. But the car will usually follow the road for at least a few seconds without anyone touching it. 

• F

Only for a very short time. The comments about the car running straight if the alignment is correct, are not strictly true.

Cars are designed to pull very slightly away from on coming traffic ( so to the right in USA, to the left in UK) for safety reasons.

So it will eventually pull toward the kerb. 

Of course the camber or the road or a pot hole could send it anywhere, so it’s not a good idea anyway.

If the road is straight and level and the car has a good alignment, it's possible.

• Geo

If the road is smooth and level you can go 10 seconds or more without needing to correct your position in the road. Nobody should say it's safe to ever take your hands off the wheel, but people do it. But since staying in your lane is the primary concern, it doesn't matter how you do it. Most people wreck their cars from not paying attention to what's around them. Not from not having their hands on the wheel.