Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Does kindergarten for a six year old need to be all play based?

I homeschool. I got a very dirry look when someone said I have a workbook. However, I NEVER use one hundred percent worksheets. I mainly use it to aide decide the order of concepts I want to teach her. And when I do use the worksheets, I always use manipialatives, funny stories drawing items with them. She is also a very fast learner and gets bored of what most kids would start off learning at her age.

When I went to 'dame school' in southern England in 1949 at the age of 3.5 years, we did quite a lot of learning along with play. 

Thus I knew all the letters of the alphabet and how to read and spell many short words before I went to real school at the age of 5.  I also knew my 'times tables' up to 12 x 12 (=144) because we chanted them over and over to a piano accompaniment.  12 was necessary in those days because, in our currency, there were 12 pence in a shilling, and 20 shillings in a pound ($2.80 at that time).

In the early 1980s, our pre-schools (up to the age of 5) were not allowed to teach reading, but supervisors were allowed to listen to children reading if they could already do so.

Even so, our 3 children all later got university degrees, which is better than I did eventually.

Kindergarten was designed to get the little ones acclimated to the routine of a school program.

To get use to a set time to be there and go home. To get use to following the direction of a teacher...a stranger other than their parents/family.

A kid can't get that experience being kindergarten-schooled at home.