Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

I just watched the Hannibal Lector movies. Is it worth it to read the book series?

Yes, the books are better than the movies.

I would definitely recommend the original "Silence of the Lambs" and "Red Dragon," which give the most "undiluted" views of Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling (as they were both penned before the wild success of the "Silence of the Lambs" film.

I personally enjoyed "Hannibal" but I know many did not because (spoiler alert) it has a decidedly different ending than the movie and reveals the fate of both Starling and Lecter.

For the record, Anthony Hopkins said he was a big fan of the novel "Hannibal" while he felt that the movie was far too "Hollywoodized". Jodie Foster, on the other hand, disliked the ending of the novel so much that she refused to be part of the "Hannibal" movie, even when the ending was re-written.

• Tina

Either borrow one of the series from the library, or pick one up for next to nothiing in a charity shop and see if you like it.