B asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 months ago

How do I quit watching youtube?

It has gotten really bad.  I can't enjoy much else.  Browsing through books, movies, tv, trying different hobbies.  I feel like really really compulsive to find the next thing on YouTube that it is impacting my life.  I can't delete it off my phone and don't know what to do.  I'll watch for literal hours a day first thing when waking up before going to bed while eating a meal, I listen to it in the Bluetooth in my car.  I don't really have much other social media and all my opinions and thoughts seem to come from it nowadays it is freaking me out.  

• Dejair

Any vice or stagnation is against life ; needful innovation and updating to renovate happiness . Thou art thee being !

The only solution is to unplug from this addiction.

I watched a program called 'Social Media' on Netflix and it explains how the computer AI algorithms are set to track people's preferences and to feed them more of what they want. In this way our opinions are formed [as you have said] for us. Our purchases are also guided in the same way. Ex employees are speaking out, saying it is unethical as it is being done for the sole reason of generating profits, which apparently are huge.

This is an addiction and my suggestion would be to decide when you can allow yourself to watch and put the timer on.  When the alarm goes off, TURN YouTube OFF.

You never mention people.  You need meaningful connection time with humans. Consider scheduling that in.

Good luck.

I feel the same way. If you watch youtube on apple devices, there is a feature to limit screen time. Try to decrease your screen time by an hour each week. Hope I helped.