Should I just ignore it? ?

Im in community college and plan to transfer to a 4 year school and hopefully law school afterwards. Unfortunately, it might take me a little bit over 4 years to complete my degree because I took some extra classes. But my dad’s side of the family always like bragging about their life. My aunt (dad’s sister) always likes to show off about anything. She also has a college degree and my mom was telling me about a conversation she had with her a few days ago. My mom told me my aunt was worried that I won’t graduate and she thinks I’m taking too long to get my degree. My dad is the same way. He has said things that have offended me. I once complained about that I won’t be able to finish some of my classes on time and he’s said “well some people have already took college classes in high school.” As if he’s disappointed that I didn’t do AP classes. He always seemed disappointed when I didn’t start at a 4 year college. He said “it’s best to start at Bowie state first year.” Me and my dad had a conversation about this and he apologized but I just hope that he really supports me. I’m not book smart at all , but I’m really trying my hardest to reach my goals. 

• MS
    Favorite Answer

You should ignore it.  You do you.  No one should be embarrassed about where they go to college or how long it takes them to complete it.  Obtaining a college degree is a great accomplishment, no matter when, where or how it's done.

• drip

Why does starting off at a community college put you behind on getting your Bachelor degree? Taking extra classes?  That should put you ahead not behind. And it really isn’t that big of a deal that you graduate in 9 semesters instead of 8. What is a little bit over four years? 

Taking AP classes does guarantee you get college credit. And many times when taking CC classes while in HS You find those credits do not transfer. 

You’re in college earning your bachelor degree, nothing else needs to be said about it to family. 

• Expat

Yes, ignore it. I would also suggest you reconsider law school in your future. If you’re not book smart, as you say, and community college is challenging it’s best to be practical and realistic and aim for something more accomplishable. Also, law school is very expensive and America has more lawyers already than any 10 countries combined; there’s a LOT of competition when it comes to getting hired by a law firm if you do manage to graduate. But keep with your studies and graduate. It doesn’t matter if it takes you longer. I started at a community college because I waited about 6 years after high school to start. I have a PhD and I’m a professor living and teaching in Japan. Find the path that’s right for you. 

• John

You are making a common YA mistake.  Specifically, you are failing to identify your real problem. I would recommend you take some time to think about the real sources of your problems.  The real problem is that you are having family and personal issues, which are only manifesting themselves as disagreements about college. Your family has some negative dynamics which need to be addressed. 

Its no different than some who seek homework help with a physics question involving how far a soccer ball would travel if its kicked with X amount of force. Many post such a question in the soccer section of YA, not understanding they are asking a physics question. 

Have you enrolled in an English course?

"have took....?" "Me and my dad...?" Your English grammar is sorely deficient, unacceptable by middle-school grades. If you don't clean up your act, forget law school. You need to do some serious remedial English work at your community college before you make any attempt to write term papers for college - or any kind of document in law school! Lawyers have superior writing skills, broadly based vocabulary, and impeccable spelling & grammar.

As for your family, ignore them. They are ignorant, and not in the least helpful to you. Let it go! You have your own challenges on your own path. Tend to your own business - starting with learning proper English! Your only concerns are your progress toward your goals, and you have a great deal of work to do to get there. Get on with it.