larissa asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

why do dogs get better medical care than humans in Canada?

my dog can get in for a MRI in 2 weeks. I have to wait 12-18 months. why is this???

Because dogs are better than humans. Period.

Me Basset Hound puppy became ill. Vet was too expensive. So he went the way of Ol' Yeller. 

its your health care system.

Most people don't have health insurance on their dogs to cover the costs of these procedures & just don't get them done.  So there aren't that many waiting in line for the procedure.  Our insurance covers our costs & there are a lot of people needing these procedures.

No idea. Where I live I would have to book weeks ahead and travel over 3 hours each way to a facility that can do an MRI on a dog. I cannot imagine the cost.

I have had 2 MRI's in the last month as part of my cancer diagnosis and post surgical treatment plan. 

I had to wait 1 day for the first and 2 hours for the second. Neither cost me anything directly as they were both covered under our government funded medical system in Australia.

• Jojo

2 reasons.

First your dogs  treatment is paid for privately by you or your pet insurance, and probably with a very short waiting list.

Secondly there is a probably a very long waiting list for free treatment on Canada`s Universal health care  scheme which is paid for by taxes.

• TB12

Not sure I believe your story,, personally I think you're using a sock puppet account to make some misguided point against universal health care.

Now that said, if you are on the level, here where I live there are veterinary hospitals that have MRIs and only treat animals, I can get a appointment for my dog to have one next week but for me to go to a hospital and have one it would be a three to four week wait,,, it's probably because the vet hospital only treats animals and there are far fewer animals waiting for MRIs than humans, thus the shorter wait time.

Oh yeah, and I live in the States, so either way I'm paying for it.

You have to pay directly out of your own pocket for the dog's MRI. If you don't have enough money or enough insurance (which you also paid for directly out of your own pocket), the dog might never get the MRI. And if your medical problem is judged urgent enough, you'll get the MRI faster than 2 weeks.

The difference between paying out of pocket vs waiting on someone else to pay it.

Your medical insurance has to go thru a process to approve the procedure.

that is socialism for you. While it is good to have free healthcare sometimes you have to wait. And we know how expensive vets are.