What is the best time to read the Wheel of Time prequel book New Spring?

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

I'd start reading it at 6 am. That way you'll have the whole day to read the book!   😜

Seriously, though, I've been having the WoT series on my pile of unread books for quite a while so I cannot talk from personal experience but I've looked in this very question when I got the books and made some notes for myself.

Here's what I found:

Over on Dragonmount (don't if this board this exists but it was a forum dedicated to the WoT and people knew what they were talking about) the consensus was that one should NOT read NS before WoT#10 "Crossroads of Twilight" because of spoilers.

The question was also discussed on Reddit at some point and several people suggested what I will probably do when I get around to reading WoT, which is to read NS as last book.

Here are some quotes from that Reddit thread:

- "There is something special about returning to Jordan's writing and the "beginning" of the story if you read New Spring after you finish the series. [...] I would never recommend reading a New Spring as your first book for those new to the series and don't see a compelling reason to read it between books 10 and 11."

- "I think a better rule for most series is read the whole main series of any series first. And then read stand alone books later. Books like New Spring or Slow Regard of Silent Things [a side-story of Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles] break the momentum of the series and are better enjoyed after."

- "The important part with New Spring is to not read it before you start the series. After book #10 or so you're good to read it any time."

Hope this helps a little.   :-)

• Cogito

Any time you like.  

What a strange question!