Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Do men only shave because of women?

If women disappeared from the world, why would men shave anyway? 

The men beards are naturally supposed to be there, so comparing women shaving their legs is not fair. Women shave because of insecurities

Favorite Answer

I shave so I look good to myself.

I shave to look good for my friends sometimes.

I shave when It starts to feel uncomfortable or before it does.

I shave so no waste sticks to my butt, or face.

I shave so my face slides on skin. 

Personal conclusion: Its your choice to follow a social construct of your personal network. Its our reality that we are selfish and request something, manipulate, or demand; In practice one could pick and choose for themselves, yet in the moment we are subject to others will around us.. 

• I don't shave and do have a beard.

It's a custom.  Men shave in male-only communities.

I served 38 years in the Air Force was forced to shave every day when i9 retired i stopped shaving for 6 months

I did not like the Results so i shave every day again because it feels and Looks better

• Foofa

Men shave because back in the Victorian era other men decided the mark of refinement was well managed facial hair. Women didn't set the standard for business attire, other men did that. Women don't design menswear for the most part nor edit the men's magazines that dictate how guys should groom themselves. Sorry, but on this one you've got the class system as determined by men as to how a successful male adult is supposed to look. P.S. Most of us would rather see you in casual wear than in a suit anyway. 

that is really gross. completely.

• Zirp

No

many shave because they don't like how hair on some places looks or feels

For the same reason women wouldn't shave if men disappeared. Marketing graduates wouldn't be able to make people feel insecure.

• Bill

A lot of men don't shave their beard as it is. I've had a beard since high school and I see reason I would change that. 

As for body hair, the only men to shave their body are soyboys and idiots.The first men to do that were actually gay men and then later models, body builders, and porn stars. With that in mind it's not really dependent on women nor did it really start that way. 

Err no, it just feels horrid with a beard and much better without.

• Bob

I would. at least in the summer. it's much cooler and I like feeling the breeze in my face. But I do shave much more often when I'm with my gf.