Which kitchen container brand should I use?

Some plastic storage containers are not to be used in the microwave. I have ruined Tupperware in the microwave, but that was Tupperware from way back when. Perhaps it is microwaveable now. 

I like the Zip Lock, Glad and Rubbermaid storage container brands, especially the multi packs because they nestle inside one another for space saving. I also like the brands that share the same lid size so it is easy to pluck a container out of the drawer and grab a lid that fits.

Rubbermaid and Tupperware are more durable than Zip Lock and Glad brands, but the price point shows that.

I recently bought several Container Store ceramic storage containers that can go from freezer to conventional oven (without their lids) and have vented lids for use in the microwave. Stackable, too, for easy storage. Love these!

• Deane

I would go with Tupperware as they have a lifetime guarantee. It is very well made and lasts forever. Also Rubbermaid is just as good but no guarantee. But I prefer a company that stands behind their products. You do the research and enjoy.

Whichever you like best.

I happen to love 2 brands. 

Rubbermaid the ones I like are clear with a gasket around the lid and 2 latching flaps that seal it tight. Airtight and watertight and the material will not stain if you store tomato product in it. Microwave safe

I also like Lock-N-Lock. Again a gasket around the top and latches on the sides. Airtight and Watertight.  These will stain. Microwave safe

For something that can go into the oven or microwave I like Pyrex they have a plastic lid that seals well but is not as airtight or watertight as the two above. 

• kswck2

Kind of depends on where you will be keeping the containers. If on the kitchen counter or in an overhead cabinet, go for plastic, just in case you knock it over. 

I use the generic plastic containers with a lockable lid for most ingredients like flour, sugar, etc. 

I still prefer glass to plastic so I'd recommend the Pyrex glass containers with the snap on plastic lids.  The lids do not stay on as tightly as tupperware, they are heavier, definitely not ideal for putting in a backpack for the day but if using just in the kitchen I think they're the way to go.